emmytee

It's Not Easy, In Ct

emmytee

Let's be frank. Connecticut is not the most fossiliferous state. Why did the "frozen menace" have to come along and wipe out all of our potential specimens? However, there is hope. Dinosaur footprint, plant, and freshwater fish fossils are all hidden beneath Nutmeg loam.

Many of us Connecticutians rely on out-of-state sites for our fossils. Some, such as myself, import them from others in FF community. Well, I don't know about you, but I would like to get hunting! I'd love to hear from people who have hunted in the state, sharing their experiences. Hey, if we all work together, we might find that fossils are more abundant here than previously thought ;)

fossilfinderCT

Yes I'm with u pal there is slim pickins in CT! But just Luke you I thinl there are more fossils yet to ne found in CT indefinitely! I'm live in sourhbury and heard it is likely because of the geology. A lot of glacial movement but I have not lost faith! I say this summer we gather a a group of connecticutians an set off to find our states lost fossils! Who knows maybe we can discover something groundbreaking!!

emmytee

Yes I'm with u pal there is slim pickins in CT! But just Luke you I thinl there are more fossils yet to ne found in CT indefinitely! I'm live in sourhbury and heard it is likely because of the geology. A lot of glacial movement but I have not lost faith! I say this summer we gather a a group of connecticutians an set off to find our states lost fossils! Who knows maybe we can discover something groundbreaking!!

def! i know they discovered a partial skull of an erpetosuchus a while back! we could make the next big find! :D

fossilfinderCT

I've been doing some pretty intense research and so far there dosent leave much hope for finding anything outside of the CT valley :( but this spring and summer ill actually investigate more thoroughly. I've checked out some spots in southbury where I currently live. A lot of info I've found states that it may be partially sedimentary sandstone, mainly red due to high amounts of iron. But ill post a couple sites with info pretaining geology of areas and some state parks in a day or so. I'm out working in this unnecessary snow storm so its a little rough at the moment lol.

Fossildude19

It's Not easy in CT. But, it helps to know where to look.

Google "Newark Supergroup", "Pomperaug Basin", "Pomperaug Outlier", "Geology CT", "Fish Fossils CT", and "Bluff Head".

THESE are some essential documents to search for also:

"Fossil fishes and fossil plants of the Triassic rocks of New Jersey and the Connecticut Valley" by John S. Newberry and

"Triassic Life of the Connecticut Valley" by Richard Swan Lull.

Should be PDFs Online. Check Google Books.

This is a helpful link: http://www.raregeolo...s.com/id20.html

Feel free to e-mail me off the list if you need further assistance.

Edited by Fossildude19

emmytee

very interesting! thanks :D

orangebuccaneer

two weeks emmytee i will back in ct trying to get a group to explore and see if we cant find more footprints u in

Fossil boy

Hi guys I live in Connecticut also but don't give up hope.I have found a fe fossils in my area specificly a imprint of a shell on a piece of shale.And a fossil of a snail in,well I don't know the name of rocK but don't give up hope U can fi d them

Stormywrath

Looks like im bumping this back up! Im new here and live in CT, close to New London! I am very interested in any sort of outting! I would love to see how all this is done and always looking for the next adventure in life! As a kid I remember seeing partial leaf fossils in streams... but of course I have no idea where I was back then and that is bugging me! haha! Anyways Hi Im David! Hope to talk you some of you in the future! :)

Mattalic

Anyone have any information regarding any of the Bluff Head Preserve localities? I have a friend in CT I am trying to plan a trip with. Thanks!

Fossildude19

Anyone have any information regarding any of the Bluff Head Preserve localities? I have a friend in CT I am trying to plan a trip with. Thanks!

Update as to the legality of collecting at Bluff Head/Totoket Mountain.

#19 Quoted directly from Land Use Policies for the Guilford Land Conservation Trust.

19. Plants, Wildlife, Mineral, and Historical/Cultural Resource Collecting

The collection of plants, wildlife, minerals, and historical/cultural artifacts from GLCT properties is not allowed without written permission of the Board of Directors. Such collecting is only permitted if it is a necessary part of an academic investigation through an educational institution or research entity and will have minimal impact on the disturbed resource.

Sorry, but that area is now off limits - has been for a number of years.

When will you be in CT?

Regards,

Mattalic

Update as to the legality of collecting at Bluff Head/Totoket Mountain.

Regards,

#19 Quoted directly from Land Use Policies for the Guilford Land Conservation Trust.

19. Plants, Wildlife, Mineral, and Historical/Cultural Resource Collecting

The collection of plants, wildlife, minerals, and historical/cultural artifacts from GLCT properties is not allowed without written permission of the Board of Directors. Such collecting is only permitted if it is a necessary part of an academic investigation through an educational institution or research entity and will have minimal impact on the disturbed resource.

Sorry, but that area is now off limits - has been for a number of years.

When will you be in CT?

Regards,

Thanks! And this is actually perfect as my friend looking to go is planning an academic trip with students. I am sure he would have at least a chance at getting an academic permit.

CTrocker

Hi, I just stumbled across this site after finding what I believe is a fossilized egg. I have lived in CT my entire life and have found many fossils. In 1989 when they were finishing Route 9 to connect to the Berlin Turnpike my Dad and I would go collect the flattish red rock after they dynamited for a rock wall in our yard. We found fern fossils, invertebrate fossils, and the likes. They are out there! I recently found a bunch of fossilized dinosaur tracks in the summer of 2014 I believe. It was a super drought in the summer time and I was walking with my nephews in a basically totally dried up creek bed. We were seeing footprint fossils in the rocks all over the place! Some were too big to collect! We were planning an outing for the following weekend and to my great sadness it rained!. That really sucked. point being they are out there. But they won't be right under a shovel full of dirt. I'm looking forward to a drought this summer. Any one that would like to setup an outing please let me know. My sister and nephews can easily monitor the creek and when it gets really low we could head out. ! Thanks I really like this site 

CousinLarry

Fairly sure there are no fossil eggs in CT, you likely found a stone concretion of sorts!

As for Dino footprints - those are there! What location are you in where you saw the footprints? They are all over the CT River Valley.

Also I'd love to see what you found in the Berlin Tpk road cuts! They're all off-limits now.  :(

Fossildude19
On 5/21/2017 at 11:35 AM, CTrocker said:

Hi, I just stumbled across this site after finding what I believe is a fossilized egg. I have lived in CT my entire life and have found many fossils. In 1989 when they were finishing Route 9 to connect to the Berlin Turnpike my Dad and I would go collect the flattish red rock after they dynamited for a rock wall in our yard. We found fern fossils, invertebrate fossils, and the likes. They are out there! I recently found a bunch of fossilized dinosaur tracks in the summer of 2014 I believe. It was a super drought in the summer time and I was walking with my nephews in a basically totally dried up creek bed. We were seeing footprint fossils in the rocks all over the place! Some were too big to collect! We were planning an outing for the following weekend and to my great sadness it rained!. That really sucked. point being they are out there. But they won't be right under a shovel full of dirt. I'm looking forward to a drought this summer. Any one that would like to setup an outing please let me know. My sister and nephews can easily monitor the creek and when it gets really low we could head out. ! Thanks I really like this site 

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I'd also like to see what you found back in the day. 

Regards,