Unknown Widder formation cephalopod

fossilzz

I found this orthocone a while back at Arkona (devonian) and I thought it was dolorthoceras, but now I am not so sure. It has a strange mark protruding from centre of each chamber. Any help would be appreciated!

d!IMG_2101.thumb.jpg.5ba0f5294d13bbccfd985d3ff8fcccfb.jpg5dbb66333de1e_IMG_22702.thumb.jpg.5a6477982b3d0a81dd620c16a963f1c6.jpg 

I agree that the line could be the siphuncle. Remember that you are not seeing the full body fossil, just the interior of the shell that was replaced. The siphuncle in some species is towards the edge of the shell rather than in the middle.

Did you find it in the Widder fm. or the Arkona fm. ? Looks to me like it's from the Arkona by the pyritic preservation but I could be wrong.  Nice that you found such a large piece of a cephalopod regardless which formation it came from. The pieces I find are often fragmentary.

• I found this Informative 2

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the input, it could possibly be from the Arkona fm as well. I was wondering if it was bactrites, but the shell angle to me does not look like bactrites. From what I've seen from photos it seems complete bactrites have a much more gradual taper.