anastasis008

Hello everyone, after having seen many pictures of  "nanotyrannus" and t rex teeth i have some questions. The first one being, how can paleontologists distinguish nano teeth from rex teeth and also sell them for a different price when the current theory is that they are the same dinosaur, also in many cases I have seen nano teeth with the same size as t rex teeth differentiated, so if they are the same dinosaur how can this be possible? 

Thank you for your time.

Teeth sold as Nanotyrannus from what I understand when it comes to fossil buying, has a "pinch" at the base. This "pinch" at the base seems to be what seller go by, but I don't have any academic papers to reference at the top of my head; it's just something to go by when looking for a real Tyrannosaurus rex teeth.

The teeth are still that of a Tyrannosaurid, and aside from Tyrannosaurus rex, the contentious Nanotyrannus lancensis is the only other Tyrannosaur found in that formation. Since they do differ from teeth sold as Tyrannosaurus rex, the natural assumption is that it isn't rex, and people will feel cheated and angry at sellers if they pay the price for a rex in the off chance it really isn't. Most sellers on auction, stores, etc seem to be confident that what they are selling isn't rex even when calling it rex is going to rake in more cash.

If your in the Nano = Tyranno camp, then you can purchase a "Tyrannosaurus" sold as Nano for a very low price in comparison and call it a day; you can buy a really nice and big Nanotyrannus opposed to a really haggard and shoddy quality rex. Hypothetically though, it could be possible that the "Nanotyrannus" teeth do not belong to Tyrannosaurus nor the same species as the animals described as Nanotyrannus, and the tooth is of an undescribed species of Tyrannosaur.

Edited by Kikokuryu
  • I found this Informative 3

So have we found juvenile t rex specimens differing from "nanotyrannus" or is nanotyrannus the only evidence we have of a young t rex? Also is nanotyrannus a t rex or its its own species? what do you think?

Thanks.