Abstraktum

Tooth size of modern Great Whites

Abstraktum

Hello everybody :)

So this is a question not directly regarding fossils, but I feel this is nevertheless the right place.

Is there any information on how big the teeth of modern great white sharks can get? For Megalodon there is a great amount of information regarding the size of the teeth. But for modern great whites I only find information about the size of the whole shark. 

I would like to make a small display with my 5.64 inch Meg tooth and a modern great white. I was able to get a 2.4 in modern white shark tooth. But I dont know if this is big or average.

Thanks for your help :)

caldigger

Remember size also depends on tooth placement in the mouth.  Is your tooth being measured in inches or centimeters?  You just state 2.4. 

If in inches I would say it is a fairly large size.

Look through "the auction" site for modern Great White teeth and see the average sizes being offered. Most are not nearly as large as yours.

Abstraktum

Yes its 2.4 inches. 6,1 cm.

However it is not symetrical. One side is longer than the other. Not sure where this tooth was placed within the mouth.

Here is picture:

20191101_131431-1.thumb.jpg.4edce68a62e0d954c397db6e7d9b82c1.jpg

Abstraktum

Thank you so much for your answer :)

I did an exact measurement on the flat side of the tooth. I'm not sure how to measure CH on this specific tooth, as it is not symmetrical. But I tried my best and hope this helps :)

20191101_143114-1.thumb.jpg.54d4d578b596d2bd17734b3ac8e47d88.jpg20191101_143430-1.thumb.jpg.504d7c05cd7886b92b25f0b600eb5c08.jpg

Abstraktum

Wow! Thank you so much for your help. :) I didn't expect such a great and precise answer. That was so helpfull. Thx again! ^_^

Finally I want to share a picture with my 5.64 Meg tooth. I think this gives an idea what a monster Megalodon really was...

20191101_145402-1.thumb.jpg.bc21989516c632c0234390d52f008b75.jpg

Gizmo

Very nice, congrats! :D

Abstraktum

Thx! :D It's a beautiful tooth and I'm really happy I got it :) 

Darktooth

A while back I saw some modern Great White teeth for sale at the 3 inch mark. Atleast that was what was claimed in the advertisement.

digit

Those (even measured diagonally) would seem to be at the maximum size (possibly with a bit of exaggerated sales hype). I'd certainly love to see one of those with a digital caliper proving the claim. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Randyw

The largest measured great white was 19.7 feet. There is film of one that suspected of 22’. Officially the largest teeth are just under 3”

Randyw

P.s really nice tooth

Shellseeker
22 hours ago, Darktooth said:

A while back I saw some modern Great White teeth for sale at the 3 inch mark. Atleast that was what was claimed in the advertisement.

It seems , with ALL the Meg focus within TFF members,  we have an opportunity to pool our knowledge on what is currently available both modern and fossilized.

Look at this fossilized GW from @Megatooth Collector. 3.34 inches.  Does anyone have a  photo of a larger tooth.

@Abstraktum has a modern GW tooth of 2.4 inches. Let see photos of larger modern GW teeth.

After some time, we will have photos of the largest tooth in each category known by TFF  -- fossil and modern. 

siteseer

On 11/1/2019 at 4:15 AM, Abstraktum said:

Hello everybody :)

So this is a question not directly regarding fossils, but I feel this is nevertheless the right place.

Is there any information on how big the teeth of modern great white sharks can get? For Megalodon there is a great amount of information regarding the size of the teeth. But for modern great whites I only find information about the size of the whole shark. 

I would like to make a small display with my 5.64 inch Meg tooth and a modern great white. I was able to get a 2.4 in modern white shark tooth. But I dont know if this is big or average.

Thanks for your help :)

I think your tooth is a first upper lateral and a 2.4-inch tooth at that position testifies to even larger anterior teeth perhaps in the neighborhood of the largest known modern teeth.  It's possible that your tooth belonged to an individual over 20 feet long.  It's hard to say, because as great whites reach adulthood,  they start growing more slowly in length and the body starts filling out more.  As has been noted, a number of fossil teeth over 3 inches (larger than any known modern teeth) have been found.  They indicate individuals around 25 feet in length, the size of the shark in "Jaws," 

Any modern great white tooth over 2 inches would be considered large.  

@isurus90064

Jess

digit
5 hours ago, siteseer said:

Any modern great white tooth over 2 inches would be considered large. 

Agreed! And best observed (from a distance) while in the jaws of its owner. :P:meganim:

Cheers.

-Ken