How we extract crabs in New Zealand!

6ix

Then you finish up with a bowl of @6ix ‘s noodle surprise :default_faint:

Was nice to catch up drink beer, watch rugby, work on fossils and not take life too seriously. 

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Was nice to catch up drink beer, watch rugby, work on fossils and not take life too seriously.

Only wish I was there to help.  :)

RB

Hey guys - sorry - Just got back from a conference in our capital.

@RJB Your welcome to pop around for a beer, whiskey, moonshine or cuppa tea anytime.  It took @Doctor Mud  and I a few beers, and some robust debate while pouring through my "todo list" of crabs & comparing them to this big feller.  Our conclusion - its in far better condition than we thought and appears to be nice material all the way through so should be a good prepper!

Any updated photos of the big feller?  I think the last we posted of it was a video of the good DR. cracking it open on the beach!

• I found this Informative 2

I just noticed @6ix's location is oriented properly for his geographic location! that's hilarious... Those big crabs are cool. Seeing online is one thing but when @RJB showed me the big boy in person this summer, I almost fell over!!

On 11/5/2019 at 10:34 PM, 6ix said:

Any updated photos of the big feller?

Sorry, no updates.   Being that he fell apart during transport and the fact that I runined the huge claw, ive packed it away and probably will never see it again.  :(

RB

This is the crab concretion I was trimming in the video. Now glued back together. I’m fairly happy with the glue, but it was a hot day and the time I had to get the positioning of the rock right was less than 5 mins. Might have been about a mm off or so and once I got it together it would not budge any more.

Look worse on the front but I pre-scribed some before gluing.

This crab here is positioned in a really weird way and I suspect a moult, but I couldn’t resist prepping out the huuuuge claws! The claw visible on the left is some of the SMALL claw!

@6ix I think I might do another trim with a saw on the top. That’s still a lot of rock to remove with a scribe. Only risk is where the big claw ends up in the top piece of rock.

AA31DB40-8CDB-4B32-9E42-11B9BBAAFC7D.thumb.jpeg.e2572837cb3a6cd543c5da7994263070.jpeg

Oh that biggun!  Did you end up padding the already exposed shell or just go balls to the (w)all and  glue it all.

And no - not the diamond blade, that cup thing, and just gently - I have an isolating transformer so we "could"use water.....

1 hour ago, 6ix said:

Oh that biggun!  Did you end up padding the already exposed shell or just go balls to the (w)all and  glue it all.

With the cutting and prelim scribe work I removed the rock on the other slab so when the 2 1/2s are together it isn’t glued :thumbsu:

Hey @Doctor Mud, looks like you are well on your way.  Best of luck to ya.

21 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Was this during the break slamming incident on your way home from Wyoming?

No, broke into many pieces on its way from NZ to the US.

RB

On 11/7/2019 at 6:37 AM, RJB said:

ive packed it away and probably will never see it again.  :(

Noooooo! You can save it! I know you can!

• I found this Informative 1