Kathleen Byrd

I found this fossil on my property at top of Laurelas Grade in Hidden Hills off Carmel Valley Rd. state of Calif. It appears to be some kind of fish. Can anyone give any more information on what this could be? Entire size of rock is approx 6" wide. I have found lots of mollusk type fossils but never a fish. 

thanks kathleen

fossil.jpg

Edited by Kathleen Byrd
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

7 minutes ago, Kathleen Byrd said:

what is that?  or are you being funny?

It's ventral side is up in the photo. That's all I can say about it, but it's a start. :)

I would say that is a really great specimen to be able to find on your property. Congratulations! Welcome to the forum from New York!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

5 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It's ventral side is up in the photo. That's all I can say about it, but it's a start. :)

so what you are saying is that it was squished from the bellyside..then squished flat. thus the odd placement of the spine..?

3 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I would say that is a really great specimen to be able to find on your property. Congratulations! Welcome to the forum from New York!

wow, thanks  so much. I'm excited whenever I find fossils on my property. Most of the time I have found them I find them calling out to me... yes, no joke. 

Regarding the specimen I posted above.. the fish fossil in sandstone/ shale. How does one go about finding out the geological time period of such a fossil. I live on the Calif coast so I assume this would have been a period of time wwhen that part of the continent was under water, but then it all was all water at one time. 

21 hours ago, Kathleen Byrd said:

Regarding the specimen I posted above.. the fish fossil in sandstone/ shale. How does one go about finding out the geological time period of such a fossil. I live on the Calif coast so I assume this would have been a period of time wwhen that part of the continent was under water, but then it all was all water at one time. 

Without the tail, articulated skull, and fins present, it may be difficult to pin down an exact ID on this fossil fish. 

I can tell you that it is probably Miocene in age, and possibly from the Monterey Formation

Per Wikipedia:

"The Miocene is the first geological epoch of the Neogene Period and extends from about 23.03 to 5.333 million years ago." 

As far as the posted picture, Rockwood was just saying that it is upside down/oriented wrong. ;) 

The vertebral column should be near the top of the fish.  :) 

Correct orientation:

fossil.thumb.jpg.1272ae077010449dfb2e41993a81e313.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

wow, thanks so much. I love your information. I cherish all the fossils I find but know so little about them. I truly appreciated your information and your lead as to what age it may be from! 

1 minute ago, Kathleen Byrd said:

wow, thanks so much. I love your information. I cherish all the fossils I find but know so little about them. I truly appreciated your information and your lead as to what age it may be from! 

Could you share pics of the other things that you have found?

• I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Kathleen Byrd said:

Happy to help. :) 

If you search "Fossil Fishes Monterey Formation PDF", you might get some free literature to download. ;) 

Be sure to include Goolge Scholar in your searches. :) 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

This is the classic monograph:

David, L.R. 1943

Miocene Fishes of Southern California.

Geological Society of America, Special Paper, 43:1-193

check email smiley  PM sentdancing smiley

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

upside down/oriented wrong.

Actually, for a dead fish it's about right. ;)

• Enjoyed 1

Here is a sampling of what I typically find.. nothing really spectacular but still rewarding.  The first fossil, itself measures 2" across and the second fossil itself measures 3 "

scallop fossil.jpg

clam.jpg

Edited by Kathleen Byrd
  • Enjoyed 1

yep had a hard time deciphering the orientation of the fish; at first I thought it was two superimposed fish. It was a delight to find this. In 20 years I have not found any fish, only mollusk types. 

53 minutes ago, Kathleen Byrd said:

Here is a sampling of what I typically find.. nothing really spectacular but still rewarding.  The first fossil, itself measures 2" across and the second fossil itself measures 3 "

scallop fossil.jpg clam.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Neat finds.

23 hours ago, Kathleen Byrd said:

Here is a sampling of what I typically find.. nothing really spectacular but still rewarding. 

I disagree. You think they are nothing special because you find them all the time, whereas others who have nothing like them anywhere close to home may think they are something special. Don't under rate what you find because you find it all the time.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

They are very special to me but to experienced fossil hunters the specimens are most likely nothing great. When I find them I find it a spectacular find. Sorry you misunderstood my comment. 

On 11/4/2019 at 2:53 PM, Kathleen Byrd said:

They are very special to me but to experienced fossil hunters the specimens are most likely nothing great. When I find them I find it a spectacular find. Sorry you misunderstood my comment. 

Their loss. :P 

I believe any fossil you find on your own to be special. :) 

I agree and am in awe when I do have a find.  I flipped out when I found my first fossil. I live along the Calif coast at about 1,600 feet above sea level. My home is built on top of a hill and the land is filled with what I call sandstone... its not hard like shale so I assume its sandstone. When I found my first scallop type shell I was in disbelief. It was geology telling me YES, we were underwater here. Until I found an ocean fossil the idea of having built on land that was once underwater was hard to fathom. Anyway that's my story on my fossil finding. 

• Enjoyed 1

• 3 years later...

Hi Kathleen;  I am a research paleontologist with the Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History and the U.C. Berkeley Museum of Paleontology (UCMP).  I recently had the pleasure of visiting the Palo Corona Discovery Center and I live in Monterey.  The Discovery Center is currently creating an exhibit featuring local fossils.  Would you be interested in donating/loaning some of your fossils to them for exhibit?  The fish is particularly important.  Would you mind giving me a call when you have a chance to talk about your finds (831-535-8545).  Wayne.  P.S. the fish in the photos here is on display at the Discovery Center and was found not far from you!!

IMG_3058.JPG

IMG_3059.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

Hi,

The OP has posted little. I’m calling him to give him a better chance to see your proposal : @Kathleen Byrd

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg