Where I'm looking for fossils

Irongiant97

Thought i'd ask about an area I revisited to see if it seems like a good spot to start looking for fossils. It's a mine dump, most of it seems to be shale I think (is it?) Means I don't I have to dig, but most of it is pretty shattered.

WP_20191103_006.jpg

There is a fantastic forum member with a tag @minnbuckeye.  Hs name is Mike and he KNOWS where those pesky fossils are hiding in Minnesota!!!!

Welcome to TFF

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

There is a fantastic forum member with a tag @minnbuckeye.  Hs name is Mike and he KNOWS where those pesky fossils are hiding in Minnesota!!!!

Welcome to TFF

Thanks, actually he already messaged me about that, said he doesn't know much about northern Minnesota but told me of someone who might.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Where I'm looking for fossils

Where abouts in Northern Minn are you looking?

Much of that area is Precambrian in age, which usually means "no fossils" but I would never say "don't look in Precambrian rocks", as there is always the possibility - however small - that you'll find something like stromatolites or Grypania or some other interesting thing.

There is a good geological map (pdf) on Wikipedia.

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Where abouts in Northern Minn are you looking?

Much of that area is Precambrian in age, which usually means "no fossils" but I would never say "don't look in Precambrian rocks", as there is always the possibility - however small - that you'll find something like stromatolites or Grypania or some other interesting thing.

There is a good geological map (pdf) on Wikipedia.

Mesabi Iron range. I kinda knew up here didn't have the liveliest prehistory but wasn't sure (also I assumed shale=fossils 100%), though I've heard the Mississippi river even up here has a good "stock" of things like trilobites, which isn't far from here. And about the map, I don't know what any of it means or how to read it. (im really new at this)

About the map, all you need to know is to look for colors/letters that indicate Paleozoic or Mesozoic (see the top of the key in upper right) and check out those areas. No guarantee that you'll find anything in any exposures of such but if you're looking for normal invertebrate, vertebrate and plant fossils, those are the areas to try. I see there is some Cretaceous (K-) adjacent to the MIR, but I haven't heard of any fossils being found there so I wouldn't bet on that. I would definitely follow any leads like those you mention.

14 hours ago, Irongiant97 said:

I've heard the Mississippi river even up here has a good "stock" of things like trilobites, which isn't far from here.

I doubt that this statement is true if you are referring to north of the Twin Cities. Try checking this out: Hill Annex Mine Fossil Gallery - Minnesota Cretaceous Fossils . It may help in your understanding of fossils in your area.

Mike

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I doubt that this statement is true if you are referring to north of the Twin Cities. Try checking this out: Hill Annex Mine Fossil Gallery - Minnesota Cretaceous Fossils . It may help in your understanding of fossils in your area.

Mike

ok, I kinda thought that'd be the case, but was hoping I was wrong :/  But I know of hill annex, it's like 20 minutes from where I live, in calumet. I'll check that out, thanks.

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Mike

WAIT, those little snail shells are fossils?! I've just been leaving them, even smashing them thinking they were just dead modern snail shells...

Aha!

The snails you smashed were empty, modern-looking ones? The ones I see on that website Mike mentions are sediment-filled, clearly fossils.

4 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Aha!

The snails you smashed were empty, modern-looking ones? The ones I see on that website Mike mentions are sediment-filled, clearly fossils.

both, actually. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 8:06 AM, Wrangellian said:

About the map, all you need to know is to look for colors/letters that indicate Paleozoic or Mesozoic (see the top of the key in upper right) and check out those areas. No guarantee that you'll find anything in any exposures of such but if you're looking for normal invertebrate, vertebrate and plant fossils, those are the areas to try. I see there is some Cretaceous (K-) adjacent to the MIR, but I haven't heard of any fossils being found there so I wouldn't bet on that. I would definitely follow any leads like those you mention.

I know it's been nearly two weeks, but ill just say it, turns out that the Hill Annex fossil park is a part of that cretaceous area, and is the site where one of the only dino fossils was found in MN, a single theropod claw. I live just 10 minutes away (but im just outside the cretaceous bedrock area).

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been told sharks teeth can be found there. I’d like to stop sometime and give it a whirl. 

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.