Is this egg for real?

Dopemorphodon

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to collecting and have gotten most of my fossils so far from one website that I think is reputable. I am trying out a website that I have purchased one fossil from already because I am interested in getting a dinosaur egg. It is a little pricey, so I just wanted to get some reassurance that it's the real deal before I pay for it. It says in the description that the original owner bought it 30 years ago and that its location of origin is unknown, which made me a little suspicious. I would greatly appreciate if I could get a little direction on this one before making a commitment.

Egg_Oviraptor_1.jpg

Egg_Oviraptor_2.jpg

Egg_Oviraptor_3.jpg

Egg_Oviraptor_4.jpg

Egg_Oviraptor_5.jpg

Enlarged and brightened: 

Egg_Oviraptor_1.jpg.ec0243aaaa6656a6f2f628f9de7d6e3f.jpg  Egg_Oviraptor_2.jpg.cdc6a8eae0c4b364b38783fb91df50a3.jpg

Egg_Oviraptor_3.jpg.738cd0d44a6b508681ebb5e027b9e867.jpg  Egg_Oviraptor_4.jpg.ddc63148765753082095d1cce4c05b87.jpg

Egg_Oviraptor_5.jpg.b9a4385ed140298250d5f64fa9b5560c.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Oh boy this is a tough one. The morphlogy and color of this egg looks good. It being from "30 years ago" also checks out because there were many eggs in old collection, and also some sellers will claim their eggs are old in order to skirt around the Chinese fossil law.

That said, it boils down to: Do you trust the seller?

This is either a well-prepped Oviraptor egg, or it is a replica. There's no way for me to tell by picture.

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Obviously, from the photos alone - that's either a very nice unhatched egg or a replica. In hand will be the only true path to know. Make or break for me would be the ability to return the piece for a refund, if it was not what I expected upon its arrival. On first glance I was concerned with the monochrome appearance. I expected contrast between shell and matrix. Then after some peering, I could not locate an area that did not seem shell covered. Also the color is darker gray than I am accustomed to seeing in my limited experience.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

If it was acquired 30 years ago unlikely it's a replica unless it was recently cast.  I would echo the other comments and would strongly suggest you make sure it can be returned for a complete refund

I would like to see closer pics of the shell maybe with these two areas as well. They seem to be a different color than the outside. Which leads me to believe the outside has been painted which could be a sign of covering a poor prep job or painting a replica.

D8B59326-1B5F-4CC7-A09B-0DC775B6DDE5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Knowing what I know now about this listing and where it is from. I advise you skip this egg. I also find it overpriced. If you need more info on why, PM me.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Hey Dopemorphodon! I'm a little bit concerned about the texture that seems too glossy to me. As a comparison, here is a similar egg I bought from a very reputable dealer not to long ago (the pictures are from the dealers website). Hopefully this is helpful. PS. The egg is also from an old collection. 

e445.jpg

The pictures from the original post aren't good enough to make a good determination.  Jacobloven's egg is very nice!