minnbuckeye

Here is a piece I saved on a recent excursion to the Devonian Cedar Valley Formation of Iowa. It looks like a thumbtack!!! I am guessing a tentaculites abutting an ostrocod, but would like other opinions. 

Thanks,

Mike

2019-11-04.thumb.jpg.e469cbacfe89c245a7b29b2a8d8469d9.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

According to Wikipedia, the thumbtack was invented in the 1750's.  While that is pretty old, it doesn't quite make it back to the Devonian.  :D While your specimen could significantly change the known range of the thumbtack, I'm inclined to agree with the others and say that it looks a lot like a Tentaculites.  The other part could be an ostracod, but could be a fragment of something else as well, hard to tell from the photo.  I like it, it makes for a nice conversation piece!!

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, ClearLake said:

According to Wikipedia, the thumbtack was invented in the 1750's.  While that is pretty old, it doesn't quite make it back to the Devonian.  :D While your specimen could significantly change the known range of the thumbtack, I'm inclined to agree with the others and say that it looks a lot like a Tentaculites.  The other part could be an ostracod, but could be a fragment of something else as well, hard to tell from the photo.  I like it, it makes for a nice conversation piece!!

I believe it's a t-handled ice screw, but I'm not sure if that pre-dates the thumbtack. However, it still doesn't quite make it back to the Devonian either. :D

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!