minnbuckeye

This is my third and final request for an ID today!!! I lean towards this being a trilobite. If there is doubt, I will use a hammer to help expose this. If it is likely a trilobite, I will work on it in a little less physical way. It was collected 2 weeks ago in SW Wisconsin, Platteville Formation, Ordovician. 

Mike       

DSC_0900.thumb.JPG.3daed181d17af98f6de332c1b9565c71.JPGDSC_0900-001.JPG.49532d583c03e7f7b78812e6df307908.JPG

I don't see trilobite, but you know me -- I'm often very wrong. However, I am fascinated by the ripple pattern that surrounds it. Ichnofossil perhaps? And that super-tiny crinoid columnal on the lower right is really cool.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Reconstruction of a scyphocrinitid cirrus lobolith in presumably inverted life position; late Silurian–Early Devonian, Europe and Africa, approximately ×1 (Haude, 1972).          Picture by Hans Hess.

21 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Lobolith ?

Interesting concept!!

39 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Reconstruction of a scyphocrinitid cirrus lobolith in presumably inverted life position; late Silurian–Early Devonian, Europe and Africa, approximately ×1 (Haude, 1972).          Picture by Hans Hess.

Interesting concept!!

It might explain the somewhat strange segmentation. I don't think a hammer would expose anything better than what you already have.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Fire up the compressor and reveal more with the scribe, I'd say. Better safe than sorry!

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer