Tools to extract fossils for a beginner

Megalodoodle

I have recently joined am quite new to hunting for fossils. I have recently gone on a collecting trip to lake Texoma (located on the Texas/Oaklahoma border) and found some specimens. I already have the usual geological tools (chisel, bricklayers hammer Estwing brand, chisel, crack hammer,etc). I then brought them back home and I am quite troubled by how hard they are to get out! I am afraid that I will ruin my specimens (I live in Virginia, so I am no where near the collection site in case I want to go back and obtain more).

Moved to Fossil Preparation;) 

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

An engraver might work, but most people use air scribes and air abrasion to extract fossils from their surrounding matrix. 

Engravers usually lack the control of an air scribe. 

Search through this sub-forum, as this is a question that has been asked and answered many times in the past. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I use an electric engraver, electric rotary tool and a number of dental picks and other assorted sharp objects in my prepping. I’m thinking about getting an air scribe and air abrasive in the future but right now the low tech stuff works for me. 

1 hour ago, Randyw said:

right now the low tech stuff works for me. 

I’d agree! Judging by your oreodont preps! Very fine work for low tech. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thank you! I need to get back to work on fang one of these days. I’ve been puttering around with a couple fish and I have a couple crabs  waiting in the wings. And a few other items on the way that a kind forum member is getting ready for me. It’s going to be a good prepping winter this year!