Small Canine

Shellseeker

One of the guys hunting with me today found this canine and asked me to  identify. I was surprised how laterally thin the tooth is.

I am pretty sure we will identify.  Please state the characteristic that makes your ID correct. i.e what differentiates from similar sized mammal canines?  The standard experts:  @Harry Pristis @PrehistoricFlorida.

EDITED, sorry.  The top edge close to the tip (Photo #3) is worn presumably by grinding against the opposing canine.  All comments & suggestions appreciated.   Jack

Canine1.JPG.fa3c125fb483f4ac4b59f786fa9f0a51.JPGCanine2.JPG.bfc742dfd0811ae9f3fdf8bc0c251164.JPGCanine3.JPG.7010b66b8312123c285221c43a3e869b.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Small Canine
59 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

These isolated canines are difficult.  Best guess:  Felis rufus.

Thanks, Harry

Having been incorrect (not infrequently enough) myself , I realize that it takes some character to provide potential identifications.

At one point, a number of years back, I thought Nate was putting together a chart of Florida mammal Canine size and a list of potential identifications for any size , going up 1/8th inch at a time.

I am sure that you have something similar,  at least in the mind if not on paper. I have seen charts of raptor claws , but not canines. In your fossil studies, have you seen any thing similar?

Thanks for the ID.   Jack

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

To show how difficult isolated canines are to put an ID to, Tammy and I are up in Gainesville digging at the Montbrook site at the moment and one of the volunteers brought a larger isolated canine with for Richard Hulbert to have a look at in hand. He mulled it over for a minute and decided it was likely to slender for bear and suggested that it might be Dire Wolf but that he would have to have it back in the collection where he could more directly compare it to known specimens. I'm guessing that if this particular tooth was attached to a piece of the jaw that there would be more to go on.

Really cool looking tooth that I'd love to see sitting in my sifting screen. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, digit said:

To show how difficult isolated canines are to put an ID to, Tammy and I are up in Gainesville digging at the Montbrook site at the moment and one of the volunteers brought a larger isolated canine with for Richard Hulbert to have a look at in hand. He mulled it over for a minute and decided it was likely to slender for bear and suggested that it might be Dire Wolf but that he would have to have it back in the collection where he could more directly compare it to known specimens. I'm guessing that if this particular tooth was attached to a piece of the jaw that there would be more to go on.

Really cool looking tooth that I'd love to see sitting in my sifting screen. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken, Thanks for the response. I must be butchering the concept or the question.

Say I have a friend who fossil hunts in the Peace River. He finds a 5 inch canine and and asks NOT what the ID is,  but what are the possibilities for the ID.  As you know, I have extensive experience in hunting the river, and recall all the canines I have personally found AND have some knowledge on what other hunters have found there.

I suppose Atrox and Smilodon are possibilities, but to my knowledge , both have been found in Florida, but neither has been ever found in the Peace River.  I have found 3-4 canines about 5 inches (photos below) and all were whale.

If I told you that I had found a 3-4 inch canine in the Peace River, what are the possible IDs that occur to you first?

Bear, Dire Wolf, Whale, Jaguar,...? ? ? is there another?

The question I am asking is :  From experience and knowledge, what are the most likely possibilities for a canine of a specified size found in this Florida locality?

The thing that is nagging at me is that PrehistoricFlorida had a display of some of his Florida Canine collection, based on size. There must have been 15-20 canines with each identified.  I saw it at a Tampa or Orlando fossil show. maybe he still has a photo of that display.

Jack

WhaleToothPeace.jpg.6d10933be4bf450703a2b7b91e295d94.jpgIMG_2518Riker.thumb.jpg.7475f40523658224e601b41b2fd83442.jpg

A line-up of Peace River canines would definitely be spectacular to see (and learn from). Hope you can track down such an ID aid as it would be very informative.

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

A line-up of Peace River canines would definitely be spectacular to see (and learn from). Hope you can track down such an ID aid as it would be very informative.

Cheers.

-Ken

This is what I was searching for....

I am starting to think we just might just get a comparative Florida canine gallery just by "harvesting" photos from old TFF threads and/or the open internet. We could tag as "Florida" or "Peace River" as appropriate.