Can somebody help me identify this?

maria

Hello, I am new to this group. I found this rock while hiking in central Greece. It kind of looks like a paw inbedded in a rock. I picked it up because it's colour was unusual. Could it be a fossil? I have no idea what it is?

IMG_20191029_131531.jpg

IMG_20191106_142250.jpg

Edited by maria
trying to add more photos

Looks geologic to me but lets see what others think. Including pictures with something for scale and from different angles helps a lot when asking for an id. And last, but not least welcome to TFF.

Trace fossils (like foot prints) are some of the most difficult to make a positive identification for unless they are in an area where other trackways have been found. Without the certainty of other tracks previously being found in the area you picked up this curious rock, the odds are stacked against you that it would be the trace of some previous animal that once walked this planet.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here. If you have more than a passing interest in fossils, search for "Greece" here on the forum and you may find some sites in your area where you can find fossils that are more clear cut to identify.

Cheers.

-Ken

If there is a museum in the area where other tracks have been displayed, that would be a great source to take your find to in order to get a local perspective. Tracks can be so subtle that it would be nearly impossible for someone to make a certain pronouncement unless they were very familiar with other tracks in the area and can spot similarities. Ichnofossils (like tracks) can be very difficult to make out as they do not contain the structures of the ancient animal but only the impressions made by them.

If you manage to find out something more definitive from some local experts, please report back here on the findings so we can all learn.

Cheers.

-Ken