Dinosaur Teeth - Where Do I Start?

nathan.dugan

Hi all,

I'm interested in finally purchasing some (theropod) dinosaur teeth for my collection. I'm just not sure where to start.

I've been eyeing up some reasonably-priced stuff from a website. The material comes from the Kem-Kem beds in Morocco.

Of course, I understand that going into the realm of dinosaur teeth (especially those from the Kem-Kem beds) and expecting any sort of accurate I.D. would be a poor idea. 

However, I'd at least like to know if they're even theropod teeth before I drop money on them. (Again, they are very reasonably priced.)

There are a couple of items I'm considering: 

abel1.jpg.567dabf5ca22839570ef5737dacd5cd0.jpgabel2.jpg.a882d454c13b094e087735fe85691cfa.jpg

Labeled as "Abelisaur teeth"

carch1.jpg.5c524fccd05e9fbd76daad6e389eae8b.jpgcarch2.jpg.d269aceddd1d37a497eb583458b1f562.jpg

Labeled as "Carcharodontosaurus teeth"

I can post more pics; the seller has a few for each.

On one hand, the "carcharodontosaurus" stuff is better documented in the region which is always nice.

However the "abelisaur" items are kind of in better shape.

I guess my main questions are: Are they actually "dinosaurian" ? (I would be happy just being able to call them "theropod indet." but of course if the given labels are accurate that would be nice.) Would they be bad purchases? What would you purchase, if anything?

I apologize in advance for my ignorance and I hope to learn something. 

These are dinosaur teeth from the Kem Kem.   They are reasonably price because their condition is not good.  I would suggest loking at better quality teeth.

Here is some info on Kem Kem teeth

• I found this Informative 2

17 minutes ago, Troodon said:

These are dinosaur teeth from the Kem Kem.   They are reasonably price because their condition is not good.  I would suggest loking at better quality teeth.

Here is some info on Kem Kem teeth

Thanks so much. I'll have a look.

With @Troodons topic you are good to go and have all needed information that is out there.

KemKem has a variety of awesome Dino teeth with some of the most interesting Theropods ever discovered (just my opinion). The main problem is, that you can't really ID anything down to the genus or even the species.

For example your Carch tooth: Labeling it is "Carcharodontosaurus" would be wrong. You can't brake it down to the genus. Right know there are two Carcharodontosaurids decribed from Kem Kem: Carcharodontosaurus saharicus and Sauroniops pachytholus. So the correct ID would be Carcharodontosaurid indet.

If you want teeth down to the species, KemKem is the wrong place to look for. If you're ok with just knowing the family (Spinosaurid, Carcharodontosaurid, and so on) I think KemKem is a great way to start with Theropod teeth.

There are so many teeth from KemKem out there, that I would look for better teeth than the ones you posted. The main problem with KemKem is to get quality stuff.

And please look out for fabrications. This topic will help with that:

• I found this Informative 1

As you are just starting out I would agree that Kem Kem teeth are the way to go and I believe most collectors including myself started off buying teeth from there as they are the most reasonably priced and you can get a feel and better understanding from them.

My one piece of advice, depending on your financial situation is to buy higher quality as opposed to lower quality and Also do your research. Franks topic will help you a lot.