Dinosaur park formation hunting

dinosaur man

Hi I was wondering where are some good spots for fossils in the dinosaur park formation outside of dinosaur Provincial Park thanks :D

I have zero experience with Canada formations. 

That said, many people loathe to give up locations, especially on public forums. Someone may send you a private message. 

My advice is to compare a geological map of the area with Google earth imaging to find exposed formations. 

Good luck. 

• I found this Informative 1

Would Township road 210A work the parts that are out of the park are there any outcrops there like around the park by or on Township Road 210A or do you have to go somewhere else around the park 

My understanding is that you can surface collect dinosaur fossils but they cannot leave the province without a disposition.

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

Hi I was wondering where are some good spots for fossils in the dinosaur park formation outside of dinosaur Provincial Park thanks :D

Please re-read this post in your other Topic: LINK

You should understand that it is more than likely that no one is going to answer this question directly, by giving away a site. 

I know you have a keen interest in dinosaurs, but you may have to stick with buying them, rather than collecting your own. 

The only other legal option that I know of, would be to join a paid tour to dig for dinosaurs, in Canada or in the USA

Good luck with your quest to find dinosaur fossils.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1. Only a fool would post any directions to any productive site for dinosaur fossils on an open access internet site.  We have thousands of "guest" visitors each week, and thousands of Forum members, most of whom visit for information but do not post.  Any hint of a good location would virtually guarantee that that site would be stripped bare in short order.

2.  Providing you with this information would likely make the provider an accessory to a crime.

You ask the same question over and over and over.  Every time we tell you that it is illegal to remove dinosaur fossils (and almost all other fossils) from Alberta.  A certificate of disposition will not be issued for any vertebrate fossil.  And yet you persist. 

Don

• I found this Informative 6

You do need to respect the law, if you live in a certain province in canada I believe you can collect as long as it is a surface find. I personally find half the fun of a fossil hunt is finding the location yourself. 

Dispositions will basically only be granted for invertebrate fossils. You will not get a disposition for a vertebrate fossil, period. Any excavation is illegal, any collection adjacent to a known research site is illegal, and any collection on provincial park land is illegal. 

Basically, don't try to find a loophole to exploit because you're risking pretty massive fines and serious legal troubles.

Sorry for asking about spots I didn’t think about that at the time :fear: and what I was talking about is I’m not the one who is going to collect the fossils somebody I know was going to collect them in Alberta since he lives in Alberta should of specified.

Again, collection of vertebrate fossils for any reason is effectively prohibited with massive fines (~$50k) and possible jail time. At best you can hold a few surface collected specimens in trust for the province and crown, but I really can't emphasize enough how much it just isn't worth it to try to skirt those laws. Things are more relaxed for ammonites and other invert fossils, but if you or "your buddy" are going out looking to pick up dinosaur fossils on public land, you are taking a very serious risk.

Are you allowed to collect and keep vertebrate fossils found on private land and with owner’s permission in Alberta? I found a summary of Alberta laws from the Royal Tyrrell Museum that is silent on the subject.

http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/research/fossils_law.htm

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

On 2019-11-07 at 1:00 PM, Fossildude19 said:

The only other legal option that I know of, would be to join a paid tour to dig for dinosaurs, in Canada or in the USA

Good luck with your quest to find dinosaur fossils.

This is actually probably your best bet; I’ve never actually been on one of these tours, but I know some of the ones in the western USA will let you keep at least some of what you find since they only take you to privately owned land (policies vary by tour company).

14 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Are you allowed to collect and keep vertebrate fossils found on private land and with owner’s permission in Alberta? I found a summary of Alberta laws from the Royal Tyrrell Museum that is silent on the subject.

http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/research/fossils_law.htm

Fossils are all owned by the Crown regardless of whether they are on public or private property. You need permission from a landowner because otherwise it is trespassing, but land rights do not grant fossil ownership.

You will not be prosecuted for picking up a scrap of bone, but as soon as you start digging, you are committing a crime. You will also never be granted a disposition for a vertebrate fossil, period, end of story.

What is clear from the Tyrrells summary and has been said but to summarize 

"If you live in Alberta and legally surface collect a fossil, you may keep it. However, you may not sell, alter, or remove the specimen from the province without permission from the Government of Alberta."  

And there are two methods of collecting:

1) "SURFACE COLLECTING (collecting isolated fossils that are clearly on the surface of the ground) is only permitted on provincial Crown land and on private land with the landowner’s permission."

2) "EXCAVATING refers to dislodging or digging up fossils embedded or buried in the ground, or within a rock face. Excavating fossils in Alberta almost always requires a permit, which is only available to professional palaeontologists and is issued by Alberta Culture and Tourism, via the RTMP."

Dont's

1) "Fossils may not be collected in any provincial/national park or protected area. The Royal Tyrrell Museum is located in Midland Provincial Park, 598 hectares of grassland in the Red Deer River valley. Collecting in this area is not permitted"

1 hour ago, jdp said:

Fossils are all owned by the Crown regardless of whether they are on public or private property. You need permission from a landowner because otherwise it is trespassing, but land rights do not grant fossil ownership.

You will not be prosecuted for picking up a scrap of bone, but as soon as you start digging, you are committing a crime. You will also never be granted a disposition for a vertebrate fossil, period, end of story.

@dinosaur man Maybe you need to convince your folks that they need to take a fossil collecting vacation in the US. We want all our members to find some interesting legal fossils.

Are there any Paleo societies near Ontario, that organize trips to legally collect vertebrates and dinosaurs to areas in the US? (I realize that the better areas for dinosaur fossils are in the central and SW US.) Alternatively, maybe some members can recommend their favorite commercial dinosaur collecting localities. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

34 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Maybe you need to convince your folks that they need to take a fossil collecting vacation in the US. We want all our members to find some interesting legal fossils.

Why..its okay to surface collect, I know many that do it with landowners permission.  They dont sell their finds or take them out of Alberta

10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Why..its okay to surface collect, I know many that do it with landowners permission.  They dont sell their finds or take them out of Alberta

Dinosaur Man (who is a youth member despite the name) lives in Ontario.  He would have to convince his parent(s) to move permanently to Alberta.

Don

8 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Dinosaur Man (who is a youth member despite the name) lives in Ontario.  He would have to convince his parent(s) to move permanently to Alberta.

Don

He's talking about his friends who live in Alberta 

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

What is clear from the Tyrrells summary and has been said but to summarize 

"If you live in Alberta and legally surface collect a fossil, you may keep it. However, you may not sell, alter, or remove the specimen from the province without permission from the Government of Alberta."  

Side point: I suppose that might mean putting a catalog number on a specimen could constitute “altering” it and hence would not be allowed. (And I wonder if that would preclude repairing anything).

6 hours ago, Arion said:

(And I wonder if that would preclude repairing anything).

I think repair/restoration could conceivably fall under a legal definition of alteration as "to vary in some degree; to change some of the elements or ingredients or details without substituting an entirely new thing or destroying the identity of the thing affected." 

That being said, the Alberta Historical Resources Act (RSA 2000) does explicitly mention repair and restoration in Sec,. 20 subsec. 9(1a):

(9) Notwithstanding any other Act, no person shall

1. (a)  destroy, disturb, alter, restore or repair any historic resource

or land that has been designated under this section

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

6 hours ago, Arion said:

putting a catalog number on a specimen

Well I hope anyone putting a cat number on a specimen would use something that is reversible.  That's anywhere just not in Canada.