Road Cut Hunting on 11-4-2019

rawwardigger

I stopped at several road cuts on both sides of the TN River in Decatur and Wayne Counties Monday (Nov. 4, 2019).

Two more damaged Rhizophyllums without the lids, some really nice geodized Crinoid and Cystoid Calyx along with several geodized stem segments and a geodized horn coral. Cephalopod sections in situ, other Calyx pieces, etc.

I'll try to get better pictures soon!! Thanks For Looking and Keep On Rocking, Roger

1-Rhizophyllum Together.jpg

1-Rhizophyllum II.jpg

1-Rhizophyllum III.jpg

1-Rhizophyllum IV.jpg

1-Cephalopod I.jpg

1-Crinoid Calyx I.jpg

1-Cystoid Calyx I.jpg

1-Crinoid Segments I.jpg

1-Crinoid Segments II.jpg

1-Horn Coral I.jpg

1-Calyx Pieces I.jpg

1-Crinoid Calyx III.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Neat finds, with unusual preservation (to me). 
Thanks for posting this. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

7 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Neat finds, with unusual preservation (to me). 
Thanks for posting this. :) 

For more information about that type of preservation, look up "silicified evaporite syndrome." References and / or information at:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/66980-crinoid-blossom-found-in-east-central-illinois/&tab=comments#comment-702618

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/95497-lumen-cast/&tab=comments#comment-1053211

Yours,

Paul H.

• I found this Informative 1

Those are indeed some good finds there Roger. Interesting to see the geodization of the lower paleozoic material. Normally I see it in the Carboniferous material.

Edit: I just read some of the papers regarding the "silicified evaporite syndrome." that @Oxytropidoceras mentioned above. Fascinating to think that the growth of a mineral could shove rock out of the way.  

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks for all the comments (I don't know how to thank each person). Hoping the rain will expose more for me and others to find and lower water levels will assist me during my boating adventures! Thanks to @Oxytropidoceras for posting the information regarding the "silicified evaporite syndrome." Have A Great Day and Keep on Rocking!!

Edited by rawwardigger

Great finds. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Do you know what ages/formations those fossils are from?

Thank You @Jeffrey P. Most of these formations are Silurian/Devonian in age. To the best of my knowledge the layer that I found the Rhizophyllums and Geodized Crinoid/Cystoid is Silurian - Brownsport Group. 

I love those curved crinoids! :wub:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)