Interesting Oreodont fossil

Ruger9a

Hello folks,

I started prepping this oreodont skull fossil last year and discovered a bone in it's mouth!!!!  I know Oreodonts are herbivores, so, I am assuming it ended up there as a result of shifting mud-etc.  But I thought it was interesting and wanted to share my discovery.  This project is still in process.  

DSCN2582.JPG

DSCN2583.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

LOL, it would have to be very big teeth!  It's amazing how these bones get all mixed up into one clump.  It also has a second bone to the left.  Will be working on it this weekend to see what else is hidden in the matrix.

2 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

A bone to pick?

It’s a joke- Adam was saying that the Oreodont was using the bone as a toothpick.

The wear on oreodont teeth (which are selenodont, BTW) shows them to be herbivores,in principle.

I'd measure teeth size with (e.g.) calipers, molar size MIGHT help with determinations.....

Bones where i hunt on the yorkshire coast are often scattered due to scavenging on the seafloor. Maybe this is the same but on land. Makes it very interesting!

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

I just located this strange looking fossil to do a little more prepping and realized I had already done additional prep.  This is what it currently looks like.

20191108_095334.jpg

Since it's not exactly a "quality" specimen I wasn't planning on doing anything else to it.  What do you think?

20191108_095453.jpg

OK, so I think anytime you have an oreodont that "choked on a bone" thae association alone makes it a quality specimen. 

LOL.  Yep, I believe you're correct.  It's the only one I've ever seen, so I guess that makes it unique!  And the amount of time I spent on it...…..  The whole bone structure on the right side of the face came off on the other piece of the matrix when I split it.  It took me forever to get it off in one piece and put it back where it belonged.  It's almost impossible to tell it now.

Actually with no lower jaw and with that being a leg bone and another beside it I strongly suspect that @jpc is right and that as the skeleton was disarticulating (nice word right?) the skull ended up laying on top of the leg .... I have seen Oreodont bone piles with the skulls laying in all sort of weird positions ..once even inside the rib cage

nice looking piece though!

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for all the comments.  I figured it would make a nice Friday evening discussion topic,

It died while playing "fetch" with its master.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Amazing job/detail, wish I had that skill.   Over the last 30 years I've purchased several Oreodont clumps advertised as skull or skull parts.  I did find a few semi-complete skulls in some of the clumps, most others were just fractured skull parts.  However, I did find several bones/teeth in the matrixes.  I now have a tray full of miscellaneous bones/teeth of mostly young adults and infants. Nothing I could begin to assemble into a display like you have.  Wonderful job.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

Amazing job/detail, wish I had that skill.   Over the last 30 years I've purchased several Oreodont clumps advertised as skull or skull parts.  I did find a few semi-complete skulls in some of the clumps, most others were just fractured skull parts.  However, I did find several bones/teeth in the matrixes.  I now have a tray full of miscellaneous bones/teeth of mostly young adults and infants. Nothing I could begin to assemble into a display like you have.  Wonderful job.

Infant oroedonts?  I would love to see some of those....  (hint hint).

17 minutes ago, jpc said:

Infant oroedonts?  I would love to see some of those....  (hint hint).

I have some as well, if I can remember to photo them when I get home.

Are you just curious or doing research?