jonesshawnm

I am new to the site and fossils. My son (7) is very interested in fossils. We are planning to go to Glen Rose, Texas this spring. However, He is really wanting to search and find petrified wood in the near future. I do not know where to begin. We live in Tyler, TX and want to go somewhere, we will be able to easily see and find petrified wood and fossils. I am a bad amateur and could really use some help in where to take my son. If anyone knows please help me out

Hello Shawn and welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.

You are in a good area in E.Cent.Tx. for finding petrified wood.  In general I'd advise you to explore dirt county roads along the edge following a good rain and road grading; do some creek-crawling in local creeks, streams and rivers; look in plowed fields of any land owners you know; etc.  Any exposed/disturbed surface (bldg. sites, road work, etc.) holds potential.

For a spot offering near-certain success and immediate gratification without first exploring a lot of hit-and-miss locations, head south to Lake Sam Rayburn and walk the shoreline.  If you have a boat, use it to access some of the more remote parts of the shoreline, otherwise start at the park and head either direction along the shoreline.

Davy Crockett Nat. Forrest is another place to search for pet. wood.  Again check the dirt roads and stream-beds inside the forest, but this time of year stay out of the forest - deer hunters may mistake you for a target.

Once you've scratched the petrified wood itch, do a search on TFF for "North Sulfur River" a.k.a. NSR , not too far to the north of you, and see all of the great material that comes from that site (including pet. wood and SO much more).

That should get you started.  Next think of joining the Dallas Paleo Society for a great immersion into the hobby.

Best of luck to you and your son and welcome to a great hobby and a wonderful resource in TFF.

• I found this Informative 4

I found a good bunch Eocene petrified wood from the Yegua Formation in the dirt around Mary Branch Elementary, West Villa Maria Rd., near College Station. There's also a creek right across the road FULL of the same but also full of poison ivy.

• I found this Informative 2