Dinosaur tooth

Joeri_R

Hello,

I bought this small tooth for 65€. It is labeled as Deltadromeus agilis but since a skull is still unknown i doubt this. I still bought it cause it is well preserved and the serrated edges are beautiful. I would label it "abelisaurid spec. indet." Or maybe a juvenile carcharodontosaurid?

I'm curios for opinions. 

IMG_20190907_135017.jpg

Can you give us the size of the tooth and a serration count of both sides for 5mm?

At the moment I would agree with you on abelisaurid...

• I found this Informative 1

17 minutes ago, Compy said:

Can you give us the size of the tooth and a serration count of both sides for 5mm?

At the moment I would agree with you on abelisaurid...

Tooth is 2,5cm in heigth. Serrations on both sides for more then 5mm.

Sorry, I was too unspecific. I meant: How many denticles can you count over a length of 5mm?

*edit: Sorry, I was too late. You don't have to count anymore, Troodon has confirmed the ID and in my opinion he is one of THE experts here...

Edited by Compy
update

11 minutes ago, Compy said:

Sorry, I was too unspecific. I meant: How many denticles can you count over a length of 5mm?

*edit: Sorry, I was too late. You don't have to count anymore, Troodon has confirmed the ID and in my opinion he is one of THE experts here...

Just for information. Does a certain amount of serrations within 5mm  point to a certain determination?

And yes, Troodon is a great expert and as a total newbie I try to read a lot of his replies and posts. Very educating, i learn a lot :)

There are a number of characteristics that help in the identification of a tooth.  Serration density is one and it's best measured at the center of both the carinas at a width of 5mm for larger teeth.   Unfortunately we know very little of the KK theropods and with limited material published have little to compare against.   Typically Abelsaurid teeth from the KK the profile is enough since its distinctive.

• I found this Informative 3