Help with ID for ventrally (?) compressed fish

ahlung62

I just acquired a GRF fish plate with a Knightia, two Diplomystus, and an interesting ventrally compressed (?) fish.  Any help with identifying this fish would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

IMG_1902.jpg

What is the size of the fish? 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's pretty distorted, so just a guess. Consider Hypsidoris. The appearance of the tail and seemingly large-sized head suggest this ID to me. Tim just posted about size while I two finger typed. Yes, that info would help the ID efforts.

Hypsidoris is a Lake Gosiute critter, so collection location would also be important.

Another catfish, found in all Green River locales is Astephus, also consider.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I was thinking the same thing, a catfish.  However I don't see the pectoral fin spines, which should be prominent. Maybe they are still buried in the matrix.

Don

5 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

However I don't see the pectoral fin spines

Don, exactly, I found a photo of Astephus in Grande's book. The spines are very robust in that image. The appearance of the skull and tail however, look like the critter above.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The fish is about 4.5 in long and is on a matrix that more closely resemble material from the split-fish area of Fossil Lake rather than Lake Gosiute (Farson?).  Unfortunately, the plate did not come with any information regarding its origin.  My first thought was also a catfish, but upon close examination, there seems to be scales along the body.  That and the apparent lack of pectoral fin spines totally stumped me. 

Edited by ahlung62