Dr Mud & The Crab Concretion Crusade

Doctor Mud

9 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

Our family is close, and recent events have brought me and my mum much closer. So we will get through it.

That is good to hear.  I know that you will get through it.  It will take some time, but you will get through it.

• I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, grandpa said:

That is good to hear.  I know that you will get through it.  It will take some time, but you will get through it.

Especially with the support and distraction of TFF. It is much more than a place to discuss fossils. I’ve met some great fiends on here - and some I’ve even met in person!

2 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

It’s almost time to return to New Zealand.

Still deciding if I might just include all future trips in this thread?

I don’t have a prep area here (apartment living) so I’m taking tools over to NZ. Hope to get a crab prepped while I’m there!

Going to let @mamlambo try out my tools too.

Its been a tough year and I thought 2019 had thrown everything it could at me, but no. I also now have the end of a 12 year relationship. I won’t go into details here.

I think it is for the best, but the timing couldn’t be worse.

Sorry for more negative news, but the support of TFF helps.

There will be more fossil searching and soul searching on the coast this summer.

I hate to hear this! So sorry that you have come upon another rough patch in life. :( 

Lose yourself in some crab concretion hunting and prepping (and maybe a brew or two) it will help. Pop in anytime you need a pick-me-up. We will be glad to do what we can!

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I'm sorry to hear about your relationship. 

I wish you a very much better year in 2020. 

You deserve it. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, FossilNerd said:

Lose yourself in some crab concretion hunting and prepping (and maybe a brew or two) it will help. Pop in anytime you need a pick-me-up. We will be glad to do what we can!

Thanks.

im sure everyone here - although very supportive would like to hear more about fossils too.

Thanks for listening.

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I'm sorry to hear about your relationship. 

I wish you a very much better year in 2020. 

You deserve

Me too. Hope the universe is back in balance for me in 2020. There must be some really good stuff in store for me now? Wish it worked that way.

Out for a walk to meet up with friends for a few beers. Didn’t know this beach was 5 km from my house

62E0A8BD-67AF-4D42-A832-17EBE62C50B3.thumb.jpeg.470bf6c8f3fbb78289be75146796f077.jpeg

im sure everyone here - although very supportive would like to hear more about fossils too.

My friend, we will listen to anything that you wish to share. And, of course we all love fossils, but this group is deeper than JUST fossils so share whatever you need to share.  If we can help, we want to be there for each other.  My experience on this forum leaves me sure I speak for the Forum, and not just myself.

And yes, we do love fossils and really enjoy seeing your exciting finds.

11 minutes ago, grandpa said:

My friend, we will listen to anything that you wish to share. And, of course we all love fossils, but this group is deeper than JUST fossils so share whatever you need to share.  If we can help, we want to be there for each other.  My experience on this forum leaves me sure I speak for the Forum, and not just myself

Deep down I know this to be true. There is always the fear of over sharing on forums, but obviously I felt safe and supported enough to do so and it is helping already.

thankyou.

Deep down I know this to be true. There is always the fear of over sharing on forums, but obviously I felt safe and supported enough to do so and it is helping already.

thankyou.

You can find many understanding members here; some have experienced similar circumstances.  

You are also wise to be circumspect with regard to over-sharing on a public forum.  Still, the privacy of our messaging system and supportive friends have helped me through some tough times.  

• I found this Informative 6

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I’m sorry to hear about what’s happening to you. I hope the worst is over and your future is better. Life sometimes holds good surprises.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

@grandpa and @JohnJ— Well said! Many of us would gladly listen and help in any way that we can, with or without fossil talk, but with this tight knit community, it’s easy to forget that this forum is very much a public place.

@Doctor Mud— If you ever need to talk, feel free to shoot me a PM. I understand ending a long term relationship more than you know, and believe it or not, I can shut up and listen on occasion. ;)  

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:46 PM, JohnJ said:

You can find many understanding members here; some have experienced similar circumstances.  

You are also wise to be circumspect with regard to over-sharing on a public forum.  Still, the privacy of our messaging system and supportive friends have helped me through some tough times.  

Thanks John - this is why I am careful to say what has happened but not go into any details; "airing dirty laundry". Thousands of people frequent the site and some things are best not shared with strangers.

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:00 PM, Coco said:
I’m sorry to hear about what’s happening to you. I hope the worst is over and your future is better. Life sometimes holds good surprises.

Coco

That's right - I'm a scientist, so believe in the evidence I see, BUT how can we not appreciate this as palaeontologists. Out of great catastrophes (like mass extinctions) comes a whole new chapter in the history of life on Earth.

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:51 PM, FossilNerd said:

I understand ending a long term relationship more than you know, and believe it or not, I can shut up and listen on occasion

Thanks I might just take you up on that offer :thumbsu:

On 14/12/2019 at 11:14 PM, Doctor Mud said:

There will be more fossil searching and soul searching on the coast this summer.

If being on tff helps you, no need to apologize.

(Don't be too "crabby" with the new soul you'll find.:P)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing a lot of hunts with @mamlambo tough conditions to find crabs right now so we have to be creative and look where we might not have when the sand is low.

Great finds on all other bases, bird, whale skull with earbone attached, moa and more!

I did get lucky with one crab. There are so many halves on the beach - heart breakers. Rarely the concretion will split with enough to be a keeper (for me, I can afford to be fussy now -_-)

The other day I saw another heart breaker, nice round concretion legs to the tips! Oh well..... I carry on 20 m down the beach and then, find another half. Hey, that crab looks kind of familiar, the angle of the leg, the big white X of calcite veining in the carapace.

i backtrack and pick up the other half and put them side by side. And it’s a match!

First time finding a concretion like this.

Edges are a bit worn but I think it will glue back together well?

Cant see the other claw, but presume it is tucked under?  Presume that is the big claw.

FCE44876-F9A4-4293-99C0-1F30C27CD669.thumb.jpeg.b19d715c0bd38cb373edc26aec4cb5b4.jpeg

84A69DFA-6995-44E7-BE9D-8C069A9ADA68.thumb.jpeg.257c424428d1b55960fef72bdd91bd69.jpeg

6EF8D851-9F9C-43EE-AD8C-CA8CF5ADF3CB.thumb.jpeg.364d394828060c86495807e02ae8c53f.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5