DDMA (DREDGING DISPOSAL MANAGEMENT AREA)

thebonecollector999

My question is below but here is a brief intro! 

Thank you all for the great insight into fossil hunting. I'm Josh, from Florida and have been hunting relics for about 5 years now (27yo), from metal detecting to surface hunting. Just a hobby that I do occasionally, mostly to learn about the history of our land and try to preserve it before it's all worn away. I find the research in hunting almost more fun than the actual craft. Although, it's tough here in FL to be caught "preserving history" .....give me a break. Anyways, i've been lucky enough to have a job as a Surveyor which has put me in places that I hate sometimes.... but also gives me access to pieces of land that a lot of hunters dream of in FL. I've been able to find old bottles, arrowheads, and relics at work without the hassle of getting permissions(that would be mostly impossible to get otherwise). So when i'm hunting on my time I always find it so hard to find places to do so freely. 

Anyways, enough about me. Here is my question regarding a potential megalodon tooth site, definitely shark tooth site. 

I've found some nice dredging in my area, with dredge disposal management area listed on the bid. It's accessible from what I can tell on the maps but labeled as "District-Owned" and overseen by General Contractor/Engineer. 

Has anyone hunted a site like this in Florida? It's essentially a dredge spoil island with management.  If so, did you wait for the project to finish and come in after? Approach the site manager? Hunt it without permission? 

Thank you for any insight, it's greatly appreciated! 

4 minutes ago, thebonecollector999 said:

Hunt it without permission

Welcome to the fossil forum from Austin, Tx.  We're glad to have you as a member and welcome your question very much so that we might provide some good guidance.  I can't tell you about the specifics of Fla, but I can give you a clear response to the quote above.

I think you will find this forum to be a very responsible group of fossil hunters.  We strongly advocate hunting within the rules, laws, etiquette, and good practices of responsible fossil hunting.  To do otherwise is what spoils hunting for all of those coming after as we ruin relations with those upon whose lands we hunt.  Therefore I'm sure that you will get a resounding "NO" from the group regarding the idea of hunting without permission.  There are good ways to build relations with land-owners and we will be happy to guide you toward these.

So, now that you know where we stand regarding responsible hunting, again, welcome to the forum and feel free to use us to guide you.

• I found this Informative 3

I think you will find this forum to be a very responsible group of fossil hunters.  We strongly advocate hunting within the rules, laws, etiquette, and good practices of responsible fossil hunting.  To do otherwise is what spoils hunting for all of those coming after as we ruin relations with those upon whose lands we hunt.  Therefore I'm sure that you will get a resounding "NO" from the group regarding the idea of hunting without permission.  There are good ways to build relations with land-owners and we will be happy to guide you toward these.

Thanks for your time, Grandpa! And the Austin area is great!

As far as the hunting without permission... I didn't quite mean it in that sense. I certainly would not cross beyond public land or rightful permission. I'm more or less questioning about how a dredge spoil is approached. In my case, if I find this area that is free of workers and no signs signal no trespassing I would personally feel uncomfortable about this. But is it unlawful to do so? That is what I am trying to understand. Trust me, i'm not one to disrespect someone else's land or business. And especially since down here in FL. nobody is really safe openly hunting relics, without being fully questioned like a criminal. Even if you are within legal rights. 

Anyways. I did a bit more research and found out that this holding area is just for offloading. I've found the source of the dredge and it should be very PUBLIC!!! Heading out tomorrow morning! Wish me luck. 

• I found this Informative 1

"Who owns the land?" is the question. Will the owner press charges of criminal trespass? If you remove anything from the property will the owner press charges of burglary in addition criminal trespass. Will you be able get the job you want if you have a criminal record? Is it worth finding out?

Just ask for permission. They might surprise you and say: "Sure, go ahead."

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!