Ways to cut through solid rock?

Megalodoodle

I found a nice well-preserved ammonite specimen while on a trip, the only problem is it’s in the middle of massive slab of stone! How do I remove it without utterly destroying it? Is it even worth it to try? Jackhammers are not an option. Is it possible to dissolve the rock using an extremely strong acid?

If you won't get in trouble for doing it, you could rent a gas-powered saw with a diamond blade. I've done it a few times..

I don't quite understand. Is the ammonite still in the field or have you already collected it and now it is a prep issue?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

We’ll be able to advise better with some photos. A doctor shouldn’t diagnose without seeing the patient. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

I don't quite understand. Is the ammonite still in the field or have you already collected it and now it is a prep issue?

Good point - I took it to mean it's still in the field.

9 hours ago, T. nepaeolicus said:

I found a nice well-preserved ammonite specimen while on a trip, the only problem is it’s in the middle of massive slab of stone! How do I remove it without utterly destroying it? Is it even worth it to try? Jackhammers are not an option. Is it possible to dissolve the rock using an extremely strong acid?

Photos and information please. Is it still in the field? At home? Where was it found? Stratigraphy and Formation?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

It’s still in the field mostly I’m curious. I found it at Lake Texoma which is on Texas/Oklahoma border.

There are many ways to break rocks in the field, some simple, some more complicated. Depends a lot on the size of the stone, position of fossil in relation to matrix, spatling properties of the rock, etc. We'd need to see a photo of it though, in order to determine which could be the best method.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

At Texoma, you need to be careful how you collect. It is a US Army Corps of Engineers lake. Technically, you need a collecting permit to remove any fossils from the lake but this is not heavily regulated there. Collecting is limited to surface collecting of invertebrates only for your personal use. Mechanical excavation of any kind is prohibited.

• I found this Informative 1