New Finds From Mount Carmel And St. Clair

Shamalama

I took advantage of the good weather on Saturday (although perhaps I should have waited until Sunday when the weather was in the 70's) and drove up towards Mount Carmel and Shamokin Pennsylvania to look at some of the coal mine dumps in their area. These rocks are north and west of St. Clair and have a different color and preservation.

My first stop was at a dump next to the road I was taking to get to Mt. Carmel near a small village called Gilberton north of St. Clair. The dump here has a lot of Sandstone and Conglomerate as well as some Shale. I was finding some fossils but not too much until I found my first recognizable bark fossils.

post-1408-12577218762872_thumb.jpg

Closeup of the left hand specimen

post-1408-12577218814268_thumb.jpg

An odd looking texture, not sure what this is

post-1408-12577218864134_thumb.jpg

Small Lepidodendron (?) branch segment

post-1408-12577218913885_thumb.jpg

Not finding too much else I headed towards Mount Carmel passing through Ashland (home of the Pinoeer Tunnel, an attraction that lets you ride in carts into an old underground coal mine) and Centralia (famous for the coal seam fire that exists under the town that started in 1962 and still persists to today). At this site I found more plant fossils as well as a few bark impressions.

Views of the top of the spoil piles which have been graded

post-1408-12577218996766_thumb.jpgpost-1408-12577219074104_thumb.jpg

Some nice large Neuropteris (possibly gigantea?)

post-1408-12577219166202_thumb.jpg post-1408-12577219229909_thumb.jpg

My first Lepidodendron bark.. I'll have to compare it to the vast collection Bruno has posted to determine species.

post-1408-12577219305515_thumb.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

One other interesting find was this branch with "thorns" along the side. I think I read somewhere this is a climbing branch or vine for some species. It could also just be a denuded branch for some other species.

post-1408-1257722850792_thumb.jpg

I had some time left in the day and decided to hit a different mine dump near St. Clair on the way home. This is in an area that is currently being reclaimed so it's best to hit it on the weekends when they aren't working. The rocks are not the typical deep black with white ferns and the flora is slightly different too. Probably from a different layer in the Llwellyn formation.

Could this be a cone?

post-1408-12577228572419_thumb.jpg

Neuropteris branch

post-1408-12577228624533_thumb.jpg

Some kind of decorticated branch, not sure what all the pits are from, rotting or maybe animal feeding?

post-1408-12577228687156_thumb.jpg

Views of the dumps

post-1408-12577228789527_thumb.jpgpost-1408-12577228898874_thumb.jpg

This is what a reclaimed area looks like, they regrade and add some topsoil and then plant with grasses.

post-1408-12577228843036_thumb.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

A Panorama of Mount Carmel (looking south) from the top of the mine dumps

post-1408-12577236485195_thumb.jpg

A Panorama of St. Clair (looking south) from the top of the mine dumps. The shopping center at the bottom of the picture used to be mine dumps but they were removed as part of the reclamation process. There are still some dumps behind it but they will be gone soon. You can see a reclaimed area in the upper left section of the photo.

post-1408-12577236774069_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shamalama

-Dave

Very cool fossils. I have seen those hills and had no idea that they were tailings from coal mines. A friend told me what they were when I was up there visiting. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

Wow!! Great finds. The pine cone and neuropteris are sweet. Good luck on your next hunt.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Hi Dave ,your neuropteris leaves are fantastic ,hairs on the leaf surface assigned to the specie : Macroneuropteris scheuchzeri .....

post-967-12578890827015_thumb.jpg

post-967-12578891125049_thumb.jpg

Really neat stuff Shamalama. It's amazing how many different things you can find in one of those piles!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Bruno, You mean to say that all those little lines on the leaf were hairs of some sort? :o Too cool! :jig:

Here are a couple of high resolution closeups of the leaves:

post-1408-12578951265077_thumb.jpg post-1408-12578951316013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shamalama

-Dave

Yeesh, it looks like a big dog's tongue!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Bruno, You mean to say that all those little lines on the leaf were hairs of some sort? :o Too cool! :jig:

Here are a couple of high resolution closeups of the leaves:

post-1408-12578951265077_thumb.jpg post-1408-12578951316013_thumb.jpg

Yes Dave ,these lines are hairs typically ,there is also little leaf side at the base of large pinnae....look this draw by professor Laveine

best regards

bruno

post-967-12579281343856_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the beautiful photo tour of your trip! The scenery there is breathtaking! Nice finds!

---Gerard

In northern France , Macroneuropteris is a very rare plant in 20 years of collecting I have found only 3 specimens ....by cons in the St Clair aeras in U.S, she seems very abundant ....various collections of Dave seem to prove !

Does Steve from U.K and Romans from Ukraine have found this species ?

post-967-12579438161217_thumb.jpg

post-967-12579438676809_thumb.jpg

post-967-12579440234344_thumb.jpg

I took advantage of the good weather on Saturday (although perhaps I should have waited until Sunday when the weather was in the 70's) and drove up towards Mount Carmel and Shamokin Pennsylvania to look at some of the coal mine dumps in their area. These rocks are north and west of St. Clair and have a different color and preservation.

My first stop was at a dump next to the road I was taking to get to Mt. Carmel near a small village called Gilberton north of St. Clair. The dump here has a lot of Sandstone and Conglomerate as well as some Shale. I was finding some fossils but not too much until I found my first recognizable bark fossils.

Hi Dave, I'm really glad to see your hunting success, congratulations! I know well that finding on the tips is really hard job.

Very good Neuropteris leaves preservation. Unfortunately I never found such kind of neuropteris here and very interesting to see it. As for your 'odd looking texture' I would IDed it as a fern stem (??) or very decorticated lep bark.

In northern France , Macroneuropteris is a very rare plant in 20 years of collecting I have found only 3 specimens ....by cons in the St Clair aeras in U.S, she seems very abundant ....various collections of Dave seem to prove !

Does Steve from U.K and Romans from Ukraine have found this species ?

Hi Bruno, unfortunately I didn't. Very impressive Dave's finds, well done! Roman

Dave..... Nice fossils looking good, and thanks for the location pics, they are always nice to see.....I could be quite happy wandering round your spoil heaps.... although rain sometimes helps me spot stuff ....I may miss that...lol

Bruno.....I have something the right 'shape', but looking at the reconstruction, the veination looks different, what do you think?

post-1630-12580193819285_thumb.jpg post-1630-12580194660535_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hi Steve

the veination looks very different ,there is no hair ,the edge is slightly wavy,the shape is very variable ,it is an heteromorphic leaf

I think to a terminal leaf Neuropteris heterophylla

bruno

post-967-12580835716588_thumb.jpg

post-967-12580836170398_thumb.jpg

Bruno ... thanks.... I will change the ID..... there was a lot of Neuropteris at Crockhey...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)