Devonian coral Favosites sp. from Arkona

Greg.Wood

Favosites sp. from the Devonian Hungry Hollow member in Arkona, Canada. One of the more interesting corals I've collected, I'm trying to narrow down the species if possible. Any ideas?

_16C8125.JPG.4d0dd48527d8b91b7dfe336db3b67ec2.JPG_16C8124.JPG.503a901ca9be44cdbfe0eb632176b83a.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Greg.Wood said:

Favosites sp. from the Devonian Hungry Hollow member in Arkona, Canada. One of the more interesting corals I've collected, I'm trying to narrow down the species if possible. Any ideas?

Greg, alas, I'm a total newb in the way of fossils and can't help you, but hope despite what your lovely specimen has gone through, somebody will be able to help.

Have a lovely Sunday!

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

You have to admire it's tenacity whatever species it is.

Agreed! 

Rockwood, your comments never fail to make me laugh!  Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Pippa said:

Agreed! 

Rockwood, your comments never fail to make me laugh!  Thanks!

:shrug: Sometimes I forget that not everyone finds it natural to empathize with a polyp colony that died hundreds of millions of years ago. 

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

:shrug: Sometimes I forget that not everyone finds it natural to empathize with a polyp colony that died hundreds of millions of years ago. 

Some of them are still very entertaining :)

Kammerchor.JPG.ff2ccb621bbe9743d113ec801d04edc3.JPG

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

17 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Some of them are still very entertaining

Preaching to the quire. 

I'd make the one in front spit out his gum.

• I found this Informative 3

The corallites of your sample have a wide variety of sizes. The favosites in my area have corallites that are much more uniform. I am not saying this isn't a favosite. Waiting for others to respond.

Anyways, neat find. 

Mike

One possibility is Favosites argus, which tends to have larger corallites surrounded by smaller ones (as appears to be the case here). Favosites placenta is another Arkona favositid that’s fairly common, but it has corallites that are of relatively uniform size; hence I think we can rule that out.

There are also a number of other favositid species described from Arkona that are less well known; perhaps someone else with more experience in the area has some examples of those. :)

• I found this Informative 3

It's a nice small colony that either regenerated or was regularly recolonized.  These smaller Favosites species always stump me too but I'd agree with @Arion that F. argus seems a likely possibility.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

A very cool looking specimen. :wub:

I don’t know if @TqB is familiar with the species from the area, but he’s usually pretty good with coral IDs.  :zzzzscratchchin:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

On 11/11/2019 at 2:27 PM, Greg.Wood said:

Hi Greg,

I'd label it as Favosites argus. I've attached an excerpt from "FENTON C, . L., and FENTON M, . A. 1936. The "Tabulate" Corals of Hall's "Illustrations of Devonian Fossils." Ann. Carnegie Mus., Vol. 25, pp. 17-58, 8 pls." if you care to peruse. It's the publication cited in the '58 checklist for F. argus. Also, if you can manage a copy, "Ross, M. H. 1953. The Favositidae of the Hamilton Group (Middle Devonian of New York). Bull. Buffalo Soc. Nat. Sci., Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 37-89, 16 pls., 9 figs.". It's indispensable resource as far as Hamilton Group favositids are concerned.

f_argus_fenton_1936.pdf

Best,

Darrell

• I found this Informative 5

9 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

A very cool looking specimen. :wub:

I don’t know if @TqB is familiar with the species from the area,

Thanks for the shout but I'm not! It's a lovely specimen. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin