Repairing a broken meg tooth

David_fossil

Hello,

I bought this megalodon tooth some time ago. I let it fall on the gound recently and now it is broken. I managed to find most of the missing pieces and started to put some glue.

Is it possible to restore it ?

Best regards,

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Ouch! That hurts! :(

I've seen people restore (and sometimes wholesale reconstruct) meg teeth. You would probably want to locate someone who can do nice repair work locally in France or somewhere that shipping is not prohibitive. I'm not aware of any particular restorers in your area but perhaps others here will have some ideas. If you manage to get this nicely restored, we'd love to see the post-photos.

Cheers.

-Ken

I have seen members in the States buy inexpensive partial broken megs and craft the missing bits. Charlie @fossilized6s has done some masterful reparations on a variety of teeth. I don't happen to know of any across the pond but perhaps someone with these skills (or knowing of somebody) will chime in. The skill exists to restore that tip we just need to locate the magician who can perform such a trick.

Cheers.

-Ken

It can be done. Hardest part is color matching, in my opinion.  Here's one I did where the entire left side was missing.  I fabricated it and painted to match (the best I could).  Top photo is after sculpting the missing piece and applying base-coat of paint.  Bottom photo is after painting the sculpted half.

20191117_002600.thumb.jpg.ecefba750fde115d59d1457619723ec7.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Wow Tony, excellent job on the color matching!  If you hadn't said you sculpted the missing half, I would have thought you just glued the two pieces of a broken tooth back together.  Well done!

Now I know who to bring all my broken teeth to.  :thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 2

41 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Now I know who to bring all my broken teeth to

We should nickname him the dentist. He can bring a smile back to a broken  :megalodon_broken01:

10 hours ago, caldigger said:

Wow Tony, excellent job on the color matching!  If you hadn't said you sculpted the missing half, I would have thought you just glued the two pieces of a broken tooth back together.  Well done!

Now I know who to bring all my broken teeth to.  :thumbsu:

13 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Nice job Tony, it looks great. 

Thanks guys.  Part of the motivation is that I was too cheap to buy a complete big megalodon :)

On 11/11/2019 at 5:18 AM, David_fossil said:

Hello,

I bought this megalodon tooth some time ago. I let it fall on the gound recently and now it is broken. I managed to find most of the missing pieces and started to put some glue.

Is it possible to restore it ?

Best regards,

You should read this thread. It references a Floridian who restores Artifacts and Megalodons as a business.  He is a magician and an artist in his area of expertise. He repairs shark teeth when the other pieces no longer exist. It will not hurt to ask for a cost estimate and/or a similarly skilled French restorer.:D

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

23 hours ago, RJB said:

@David_fossil   wow, thats gotta hurt.  I wish  you the best of luck.  A good fixer can make that damage disapear. 

RB

Ron,

Apologies.  I had forgotten that we have more than one magician and expert restorer on this forum and you lead the pack. I have seen your magic :wub:

I just did not know if you or others could be hired for piecework. Rumor is that your time is just too precious.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

apologies.  I had forgotten that we have more than one magician and expert restorer on this forum and you lead the pack. I have seen your magic :wub:

I just did not know if you or others could be hired for piecework. Rumor is that your time is just too precious.

People give me too much credit but thanks for the compliment.  I do some repair/prep work for others sometimes but only once in awhile and it very much depends on what it is and sometimes who it is. 

RB

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

So I had my megalodon tooth repaired by Matthew (Matty's Meg, you can find him on online and Facebook).

He was very professional and sent the tooth back rapidly in a perfect packaging.

5e14c95521ea3_IMG_20200107_161851(Copier).thumb.jpg.68a26101a02b784847537fd067a51936.jpg

The result is... perfect. I did not think it would be so nice.

5e14c95a275e3_IMG_20200107_162138(Copier).thumb.jpg.3955ed6e56370b8ab21df49268ef7e26.jpg

5e14c95c45f1f_IMG_20200107_162145(Copier).thumb.jpg.6aa093a263537cd346118c5093e4ccec.jpg

5e14c95dc7dc0_IMG_20200107_162156(Copier).thumb.jpg.ea96bd2599eb6a2261843ad59cef7aa6.jpg

I also decided to put my megalodon tooth in a safe place and only show in my appartment a 7" replica and a fridge magnet (that I bought from Matty too).

5e14c9569ae30_IMG_20200107_162031(Copier).thumb.jpg.36d5522ab72f2acc36bfb879a983ffed.jpg

5e14c95853b06_IMG_20200107_162107(Copier).thumb.jpg.5358befa73190ae1534106c7cb98b89d.jpg

David