Is this a fake keichousaurus?

Dk12345

Hey guys, first time posting here, just hoping you could help me. I bought a keichousaurus for €300 and It came today, but I only came across the fact that they could be faked soon after buying (panic). The seller was from a reputable online store and it was part of a well known private collection that was disbanded. It came with an authenticity cert and was guaranteed to be real. Looking at everyone else’s specimens I am slightly worried/disheartened about the condition of my own. It is painted heavily I realise  and I’m wondering what everyone thinks of it. Is it worth keeping or should I try sell it? Feeling slightly disheartened as I feel like I’m not even looking at bone, just all paint, and Its been a life long dream to be able to have my own fossil like this. And besides, as a grad student, I paid a lot for it which really took a lot of budgeting so it all lands a little harder. Any (hopefully good) thoughts/comments are welcome! Thank you!

F0A772DF-69A0-432C-B1CA-B6C8EA0F0B93.jpeg

5658240F-9BF8-4E6B-9982-5F7DD0078D50.jpeg

D258E285-2E47-4F67-A478-D8F75AB13902.jpeg

Edited by Dk12345

Good news first: parts of the Keich are original (you can see that on the splitted bones, the bone structure is clearly visible).

Bad news: VERY bad prep job. And some of the parts (right hand and ribs) may be painted.

@Crazyhen may tell more....

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks Pemphix for the quick reply! Sorry about the double posting, I’m still getting the hang of using this :) 

yeah... I can see that it seems to be when compared to members specimens :(. It’s a shame, as it’s something I’ve looked forward to for so long, and worked hard to save for. For now I’ll look at it as imperfectly perfect until the future where I’ll hopefully be in a better position to get a nicer one of these guys. I’m glad it’s genuine atleast. I’m afraid to ask, did I get ripped off?.. how much would one of these guys usually cost? Thanks again!

We don't give valuations on the forum, I'm afraid, tis against the rules. 

And rather subjective. 

Have a look at the prices of other specimens available online. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

38 minutes ago, Dk12345 said:

’m glad it’s genuine atleast. I’m afraid to ask, did I get ripped off?.. how much would one of these guys usually cost? Thanks again!

Sorry the forum does not give valuations it is taboo.  :)

Split out from a different topic into it's own topic.  ;) 

That seems a lot of money for a very poorly prepared and heavily painted fossil. :( 

A210E6E5-8795-4F1F-AE97-4E784F4DF138.thumb.jpeg.9ed87b9fff3faa9a5ac52b6a40515869.jpeg  9E725B27-0181-407B-A146-48BE74187457.thumb.jpeg.8f5af3b57a09c1ee8bef62edafe86082.jpeg

BC0959A7-79B0-4621-A047-2A1A81382014.thumb.jpeg.5bb93235430b058116ed24b0fce341d3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Definitely a learning moment. Sorry it happened at such an expense. :( 

When buying fossils, certificates of authenticity (CoA) are virtually meaningless as anyone with a laser printer can make one and claim the item is authentic. 

When you next want to take the purchasing plunge, do post the item on the forum first. Sometimes even reputable sellers are not entirely spot on about the items they acquire for sale.

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The Keichousaurus market is full of badly prepared and enhanced specimens but it is possible get nice specimens . I think with keichousaurus you need to not rush a purchases, it may take a couple of months to find a nice specimen at a good price.  Try “before you buy “ and post here first. Saying that I have seen lots worse than yours  All the best Bobby 

It's real, don't worry

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

This is an acid-prepped specimen, overly prepped unfortunately as the acid eroded much of the bones.  I don't think it is painted, or the painting work should be done better!  One good thing about this specimen is that it is a hard slab, that is, the matrix is hard and not as easily broken as the soft or half hard slabs.  And don't feel sad about this purchase, I think we all have bought some fake or not good fossils in our collection and I would take it as a learning process so that with more experience we would not make the mistakes again (or less mistakes).  After all, you need to pay for attending a class or learning something!

It's real. However, much better pieces are available. "Reputable, online store," if they are indeed reputable, inform them you wish to return the item for a refund.  Saying slmply, that in hand the piece did not meet your expectations.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Hi Everyone, 

I’m only just getting a chance to see all your comments now! Thank you very much for all the advice and thoughts on my specimen. It was good to get a second opinion on its legitimacy and to understand why it looks the way it looks. It is indeed a learning moment, and I’ve just come to accept that it is what it is. I’ll definitely know better next time. The seller was through a common buying/selling platform that everyone uses which I don’t know if I can name - from its online store and sadly stated they don’t accept refunds.. the photos they used were good and didn’t show any possibility of painting, but in reality, if you’re aware you can easily spot it. I may sell it on some day for an “upgrade”, I’m not quite sure yet. I’m still just happy to have my first real fossil (and need to do a lot more saving haha). Thanks everyone!!

Edited by Dk12345