Upper Miocene coprolite-like fossil ?

laiosx

Theese are from Evia island Greece an Upper Miocene site with fossils. Any idea what can be the oblong ones ? The cones are freshwater gastropods that can be seen. there is also round and some arced ones. Some have  hole in the centre some not . The size also varies a lot from 1 cm to 10 cm

1.jpg

2.jpg

I guess some of the non-conical ones could be coprolites but I'd need to see more detail to be more confident. The high-spired gastropods that are encrusted could be covered in fresh-water algae and so it's possible, too, that the non conical ones are other things similarly coated. 

• I found this Informative 2

52 minutes ago, Carl said:

similarly coated

As an indicator the presence of the coating seems to have the potential to be a double edged sword for and against them being coprolites ?  

• I found this Informative 1

There exist a permanent post from @GeschWhat for this, you'll find it on the top of the fossil identification forum and you can clic on the window below to go directly to it :

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Thanks for the response , I add some more photos cross section polished and not . The hole in the centre is usual feature but not always. Homocentric cycles also in many speciments , some resemble even stalactites. There are also round ones , somes seem to be hollow like small geodes.Texture is usual grainy but not always

3434.jpg

fdf.jpg

fgfhfg.jpg

fdgg.jpg

ggg.jpg

bbfff.jpg

gggg.jpg

Edited by laiosx

Hi,

Escargot-Grece.jpg.6a8a8e62f4c267c85b24fd2c2c8b38d0.jpg

These ones look like recent land snails on limestone : Pomatias elegans.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

6 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Escargot-Grece.jpg.6a8a8e62f4c267c85b24fd2c2c8b38d0.jpg

These ones look like recent land snails on limestone : Pomatias elegans.

Coco

Thanks for the id , of the snail . Didn't know that species , and was wondering if it was a freshwater species

10 hours ago, laiosx said:

Thanks for the response , I add some more photos cross section polished and not . The hole in the centre is usual feature but not always. Homocentric cycles also in many speciments , some resemble even stalactites. There are also round ones , somes seem to be hollow like small geodes.Texture is usual grainy but not always

3434.jpg

fdf.jpg

fgfhfg.jpg

fdgg.jpg

ggg.jpg

bbfff.jpg

gggg.jpg

any other sugestion except coprolite ? plant material fossil , non biological formations ?

3 hours ago, westcoast said:

Oncoids?

Seems to explain the structure being more complex than the average travertine or tufa.