Unique Mazon Creek

Rockpit

After being in and out of the freezer since October this concretion opened yesterday.  It is different than anything I've seen before and I haven't been able to match it to anything online or in Wittry's books.  I am assuming it is fauna but I'm really not sure.  Of course it could be a jellyfish but I've never seen one like this before.  Could it be a cephalopod?  IMG_0691.thumb.JPG.4258d7a4166ba57f4ca3d8f40197126e.JPGIMG_0706.thumb.JPG.90786048471ccffec8595571c8a2b01a.JPG

Lovely piece! I have no clue, but hope that someone can help.

I just got so tickled at your note....."After being in and out of the freezer since October this concretion..."

It makes me so happy that there are other people who think that having wet rocks lying about their freezer is a totally normal thing (along with the bulk samples drying in the oven, whale vertebra weathering out of concretions in the flowerbeds, PVA solution in jars in the attic, etc) :heartylaugh::zzzzscratchchin:

You TFF'ers make me feel normal from time to time! And very thankful for all of the longsuffering spouses that put up with concretions in the freezer. :eyeroll:

• I found this Informative 1

Looks to be a poorly preserved jellyfish or possibly acorn worm.

It looks like there was quite a bit of decay prior to fossilization.

• I found this Informative 4

5 hours ago, sharkdoctor said:

Lovely piece! I have no clue, but hope that someone can help.

I just got so tickled at your note....."After being in and out of the freezer since October this concretion..."

It makes me so happy that there are other people who think that having wet rocks lying about their freezer is a totally normal thing (along with the bulk samples drying in the oven, whale vertebra weathering out of concretions in the flowerbeds, PVA solution in jars in the attic, etc) :heartylaugh::zzzzscratchchin:

You TFF'ers make me feel normal from time to time! And very thankful for all of the longsuffering spouses that put up with concretions in the freezer. :eyeroll:

I also do that sometimes.:)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

No guess from me. Sometimes they are just not identifiable. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

14 hours ago, sharkdoctor said:

Thanks!  It's great to be normal (sometimes):fingerscrossed:.  Lucky for me I have an extra refrigerator for bulk items such as orange juice, apples, oranges and, concretions!  Whatever it is I think it is one of my favorites.

12 hours ago, RCFossils said:

Looks to be a poorly preserved jellyfish or possibly acorn worm.

It looks like there was quite a bit of decay prior to fossilization.

Thanks for the reply.  I hadn't heard of acorn worms before and now that I looked at some that show a "pinched collar", I can see how it could possibly be a worm.  I was wondering if the single strand hanging down was a tentacle but maybe that's where the decay come in? 

I must admit though, I'm not usually squeamish and have no problems touching earthworms or leeches, but some of the nonfossilized images online were grossing me out!  If it is a worm, this is the first I've found-I haven't had any worms yet.  Wait. . .

Yes, cephalopods, the earliest octopus and  squid have all been found in the MC deposit.

They are all very rare.

I have a few examples that I will post in the next week or two.

11 minutes ago, Rockpit said:

Just out of curiosity, are there cephalopods associated with Mazon Creek? I didn't have much luck finding examples online. @Mark Kmiecik @RCFossils @Nimravis @deutscheben

Yes there are- here is a picture of a Titanoceras that he found years ago and was ID by the Field Museum.

IMG_4801.thumb.jpeg.d328daa378e9e4b48a4f954c6a8a7f19.jpeg

This other piece (picture) I sold to a collector as a squid- Jeletzkya, I was not positive on it, but he was pretty sure and the price was right. It was very small, a little smaller than a nickel and I only had one half- it was found inside the cooling lakes at Pit 11. @RCFossils what do you think? 

5dd1ca7ba2a58_IMG_2433(2).thumb.jpg.93de0e8804dbe6e96b3da51814dc1a35.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

25 minutes ago, Rockpit said:

Wow! Those are both very cool! I'm not sure I would have recognized the first as a fossil if I had come across it!

I forgot that I had this picture of a Holotype that is in Dave's Down to Earth Museum in Evanston, Illinois.

IMG_7236.thumb.JPG.79f002a9567ba5c2e00fc7be363ddd60.JPG

1 hour ago, Rockpit said:

However, I do see a man's profile in the upper right hand side.:look:

And he doesn't look too happy either, stuck forever on that fossil....-_- 

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Yes there are- here is a picture of a Titanoceras that he found years ago and was ID by the Field Museum.

IMG_4801.thumb.jpeg.d328daa378e9e4b48a4f954c6a8a7f19.jpeg

This other piece (picture) I sold to a collector as a squid- Jeletzkya, I was not positive on it, but he was pretty sure and the price was right. It was very small, a little smaller than a nickel and I only had one half- it was found inside the cooling lakes at Pit 11. @RCFossils what do you think? 

5dd1ca7ba2a58_IMG_2433(2).thumb.jpg.93de0e8804dbe6e96b3da51814dc1a35.jpg

The Titanoceras is pretty impressive.

Not sure about the Jeletzkya. It is definitely a possibility. Cannot make out enough detail to be sure.

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I forgot that I had this picture of a Holotype that is in Dave's Down to Earth Museum in Evanston, Illinois.

IMG_7236.thumb.JPG.79f002a9567ba5c2e00fc7be363ddd60.JPG

Those are really nice!  I really need to go there!

22 hours ago, RCFossils said:

Not sure about the Jeletzkya. It is definitely a possibility. Cannot make out enough detail to be sure.

The ten "arms" pretty much nails it down.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2019 at 7:47 PM, Rockpit said:

Thanks!  It's great to be normal (sometimes):fingerscrossed:.  Lucky for me I have an extra refrigerator for bulk items such as orange juice, apples, oranges and, concretions!  Whatever it is I think it is one of my favorites.

I have a freezer just for concretions...

Cheers,

Rich