Potential bone cluster - Glenafric concretion

mamlambo

Hi Everyone, I was out at Glenafric in New Zealand with @Doctor Mud and found this concretion which might have a bone cluster in it. If anyone could ID it I would be really greatful!

49058179456_41e03ec156_4k.jpg

nice find. my guess would be dolphin it looks to small to be whale.and i know there have been a few dolphins found at Glenafric. be nice to see once prep done.

• I found this Informative 2

Was great to meet up and hunt! Turned out we were based pretty close about 2 Km from each other :SlapHands:

Looking forward to seeing your video from the day and seeing what’s inside that concretion.

Heres my Glenafric penguin for reference

field of view from top to bottom is about 40 cm, so yours could easily be penguin.

764392E4-8C69-4E64-89D3-9D1A602C2B01.jpeg.2cf018e5ab443a92df2c1b8adce0a3d2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

@Doctor Mud Was great meeting up and going for a hunt together, if it wasn't for you saying it might be something good I might just have left this concretion behind!

I want to say there are similar shapes in the two samples, but will have to take it past the museum to get some definitive info - maybe they can do a CT scan of it :)

That other concretion we found has a crack running through it, might be an easy job to crack it open!

1 minute ago, Ludwigia said:

@Doctor Mud @mamlambo It's nice to see that you've gotten to know each other personally now. Isn't this forum great for such encounters?

@Ludwigia It really is! I've met a few really great people on here that have become friends outside of the forum :)

I'm taking the bone cluster in to the Canterbury museum next week to see if they can tell me more about it. Such a great hobby!

• I found this Informative 1