Central Texas Cretaceous - Coral or Just Limestone?

JamieLynn

I know that Central Texas limestone can weather out into a WIDE variety of shapes and forms and I just assumed this was weathered limestone, cool looking but unremarkable. However, I have seen a couple of pics on the facebook rock groups of coral that looks suspiciously like this. However, I do not see the correct "striations" in mine that coral should have. So is this just a rock or is it coral? I don't believe there is any coral like this in the Cretaceous period, but I do not know, i might be wrong! 

DSCN5277.thumb.JPG.81a21a23292f823c9865dd9b67d78abe.JPG

DSCN5279.thumb.JPG.078dcebdb9a0f52a4d8bd1a6c00e5f39.JPG

Back side:

DSCN5278.JPG

A picture of one from the groups: I believe he said his was from New York, and was posibly older than Cretaceous  I do not really remember.  Similar, not exactly the same, but close enough it made me wonder.

73390844_2663009983761153_5466122268218228736_n.jpg.45ec565527c7bdd28bd2aa49b0791ac6.jpg

Looks more like very weathered chert.  Wildfires will cause the circular divots by expanding moisture in the rock and popping them off like high speed razors.  

• I found this Informative 7

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

8 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Looks more like very weathered chert.  Wildfires will cause the circular divots by expanding moisture in the rock and popping them off like high speed razors.  

I agree, there's no coral structure. I don't know what the little plus sign is but chert can contain all sorts of small fossils and bits.

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

Living in Central TX and having found these on numerous occasions, I'm pretty squarely in the Chert camp.  Pitted by natural processes (eg. wildfires, as a commenter above said)

Hey, @JamieLynn     I sure would have picked it up, brought it home, given it a second, and third and . . . look, and asked the forum for inputs.  It sure looks very convincing to me.  But in the end I think that @JohnJ nailed the ID for you.  Good eye my fellow CTx fossil hunter! 

Now I need to go reexamine some of my CTx "fossil Corals" to be sure I have what I think I have. :headscratch:

my thoughts exactly, @grandpa = thought it was cool looking, but not much, brought it home,  saw some pics that looked similar, thought about it again, and posted here for the experts. I can't tell y'all hom much I love the Fossil Forum! 

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah, never leave the odd stuff behind. John’s probably nailed it. There are some corals in the Lower Glen Rose that almost look like that, but you would see radiating septa in each coralite. 

• I found this Informative 1

To be sure, the sample needs a cut or a polished surface. I do not think it is a fossil, but I do not know the outcrop area or the type of material.