Tools Of The Trade

rebelgtp

Hey guys I was wondering what all of you field hunters use for your tools in the field? I do most of my fossil work, so far, in the lab and I've had fairly limited experiences of collecting in the field. So I was kind of wondering what are some of the "must haves" for in the field?

Currently what is in my pack is a tool roll with various picks and brushes, an Estwing rock hammer, GPS (an old Magellan Explorist 210), note book and a small Canon PS digital camera. Anything else I should have? Oh and my pack right now is an old German military pack that is tough as nails.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the link I had done a search for tools instead of "equipment" must be how I missed it.

I need to find some of the other chisels and the like especially since my rock hammer is a pick type instead of a chisel type.

insect repellent

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Toilet paper.

I actually have an "emergency" roll in my pack that is covered on the outside with duct tape to help keep it safe "just in case". In the mean time it doubles as a campsite football :D

Water I always have plenty of and oddly I never need insect repellent, never have. I have been on trips and field work where everyone else was eaten alive by mosquitoes and I would maybe get one or two bites in 2 weeks.

What they all said. I thought there was another topic on the forum about this subject, but I couldn't find it.

It depends on where I am going as to what I take. I also take various sized ziploc bags, pill bottles (good to protect those delicate fossils that you just wrapped in foil), plastic Plano boxes with dividers, and I keep plastic shoe boxes in the car for bulk items. They stack nicely inside of each other when empty. Also, a sharpie for marking bottles, bags, and boxes.

Sometimes chisels and a military shovel. A bricklayer's hammer (chisel end) can be had for a reasonable price at Home Depot, Lowe's, or your local hardware store.

Surprised I didnt see one of the most important tools listed in either thread. I always take a handheld GPS unit, Camera, and small note pad. I am out to collect crabs but there is always the possibilty of discovering something new and or scientifically important.

Jason

• 1 month later...

:) Other reasons for aluminum foil.To place on better finds before the plaster jacket.Makes extraction easier.Another is in place of a plaster jacket if you have to leave in a hurry,you just have to handle it more carefully.Had to use it once in removing the fossilized roof of the mouth of a capabara.Friends dont want to wait for a plaster jacket to dry when you were just bitten by a rattle snake.

Is there a problem here? :lol:

Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

ouch,ouch..dont forget the sunscreen...ouch, ouch :(

Yeah I'm fighting a nasty sun burn at the moment, I normally never burn but I sure did last weekend.

During the summer, my car (well, the back of my Subaru wagon) is always fully stocked with my rockhounding gear. I do minerals as well as fossils, so some of this may have limited use for fossils.

- pick-type rock hammer

- small sledge

- 6 lb. sledge

- various chisels

- garden trowel

- medium-sized shovel

- large shovel

- garden hand rake

- belt with hammer holders (keeps the hands free and carries the rock hammer and mini sledge)

- gloves

- kneeling pad

- 1/4" screen

- 1/8" screen

- SWUV light

- LWUV light

- grill cover (for hiding under to check fluorescent stuff)

- flashlight

- loupe

- bucket

- hand truck (w/ bucket attached)

- toilet paper

- paper towels

- pill bottles

- ziplock bags

- poncho/umbrella

- sunscreen

- bug spray

- food/water