Trip To North Texas

Dave Bowen

Snakekeeper, Jax and myself had a nice outing in POC today.

Mine were the least impressive, but you'll see that when they post up theirs later. lol.

I had a great time, and thanks for inviting me Barry!

Hey Jax, post up that meg tooth you found! ;)

Found shark teeth a plenty, a few ptychodus teeth, lots of bone frags, and a cool septarian nodule. Thanks for carrying that up the hill for me! Thing weighs about 800000 pounds. Well, not that much but yea, it's pretty heavy. It measures 11" across.

post-1882-1247951400_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1247951792_thumb.jpg

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

sounds like you guys had fun!

I talked to snakekeeper about going... but it was a little too long of a drive for me.. hehe..

that nodule is pretty cool... hehe.

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

I like calcite, and this one was particularly translucent. I cut the crappy shell off of them and reveal the inner beauty... lol. I just like calcite.

Here's the inside of the nodule. The argonite band was really thick and the calcite is pretty clear in spots, and has some cloudy small nodes in it. It's pretty impressive in person.

Not much in the way of organic material inside that I could see. Perhaps it's inside the calcite, but I'm not breaking it any more. :)

And yea, we had fun. It got hot in the sun, but there was plenty of shade, and the water was very cool.

post-1882-1247956385_thumb.jpg

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

I like calcite, and this one was particularly translucent. I cut the crappy shell off of them and reveal the inner beauty... lol. I just like calcite.

Here's the inside of the nodule. The argonite band was really thick and the calcite is pretty clear in spots, and has some cloudy small nodes in it. It's pretty impressive in person.

Not much in the way of organic material inside that I could see. Perhaps it's inside the calcite, but I'm not breaking it any more. :)

And yea, we had fun. It got hot in the sun, but there was plenty of shade, and the water was very cool.

Ok just messin' with ya....... :P

Ooh! that is a nice find! great crystal structure....it almost looks liquid in some spots!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

It was great hunting with you today. Now that you have the POC bug, im sure you will be back there :P That nodule is awesome!! makes me wonder why I didnt drag one out of there.....

I missed your post before I posted my pics LINK

Man, what a great time with some awesome people!Just need to instruct them on how to pack a decent lunch :P

We hit it hard and fast from 7am to about 12:15p. There were no complaints except for the occasional belley growl from the two that didn't bring the lunch goodies like I DID :D You know who you are!!!!!!! Alll in all it was a very fun time communing with some fellow TFF'ers.Here are the Boyz doing their thang! And my takings for the day.JAX really was the standout collector today...no bones about it :P

post-417-1247977849_thumb.jpgpost-417-1247977901_thumb.jpgpost-417-1247977876_thumb.jpg

Man, what a great time with some awesome people!Just need to instruct them on how to pack a decent lunch :P

We hit it hard and fast from 7am to about 12:15p. There were no complaints except for the occasional belley growl from the two that didn't bring the lunch goodies like I DID :D You know who you are!!!!!!! Alll in all it was a very fun time communing with some fellow TFF'ers.Here are the Boyz doing their thang! And my takings for the day.JAX really was the standout collector today...no bones about it :P

post-417-1247977849_thumb.jpgpost-417-1247977901_thumb.jpgpost-417-1247977876_thumb.jpg

I sure hope I made that face on purpose... I look a bit like a chimpanzee grooming someone!

No, I know what happened. I got a severe case of Attention deficit OOOHHH FOSSIL!

Definitely had a good time, and am looking forward to the next outing.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Thanks for coming! You know that you live about 4 miles as the Crow flies from me,so don't be a stranger!

This Fall we will "clean the house" so to speak! I like how your Septarian turned out!Pretty cool huh?

Great finds Barry, you got some nice teeth there.

Thanks darlin, you would like this kind of collecting.Lots of shade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This time of year it's a necessity :)

Thanks for coming! You know that you live about 4 miles as the Crow flies from me,so don't be a stranger!

This Fall we will "clean the house" so to speak! I like how your Septarian turned out!Pretty cool huh?

Yes, thank you! I have it in 4 pieces so if you want one, you're more than welcome to it. They are really quite pretty in person.

Yea, I'd like to come see some of your collection. After I've had some coffee this time though... I didn't have any coffee until Van Alystine! :faint:

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

... I didn't have any coffee until Van Alystine! :faint:

Serves you right :P

Here is the septarian the I cracked open and was very pleased with the findings!

post-417-1247979557_thumb.jpg

Thanks darlin, you would like this kind of collecting.Lots of shade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This time of year it's a necessity :)

You are right, a shade is a must. With this cool front it isn't that bad. There is a creek I have been eyeballing for a while now and since it is not that hot right now I think I am going to get up early and go have a look. It is out of the way, going in the back way from my house to Dennison. If I find anything I will let you know, you might want to go over there if it is a good spot.

I sure hope I made that face on purpose... I look a bit like a chimpanzee grooming someone!

No, I know what happened. I got a severe case of Attention deficit OOOHHH FOSSIL!

LOL, good one....

Did everyone make their own screens ?

Yes, the calcite is beautiful...

Welcome to the forum!

LOL, good one....

Did everyone make their own screens ?

Yes, the calcite is beautiful...

Yes, I think the screens were all homemade. Mine were only made a day or two beforehand. I found that they are just a little bit too deep. It's tough to get your hands down inside to move the rocks around. I also discovered that black is not the correct color for a sifter. It hides things and allows for almost no reflection inside the pan.

BUT it worked fine otherwise, and I was able to find lots of teeth. :)

Nice septarian Barry. That looks more like a typical one. Mine is all funky inside. haha.

post-1882-1248018539_thumb.jpg

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

What is good about yours is the double wire idea of different

sizes.

I just use this colander I bought at Walmart. Yours gives me the idea to place a bit larger mesh

near the top of it so can get rid of the larger stuff easier...

post-13-1248019101_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Do you know any details on the bottle?

Lyle

It says, Roux 14, made in U.S.A. on the bottom.Probably a perfume bottle.

What is good about yours is the double wire idea of different

sizes.

I just use this colander I bought at Walmart. Yours gives me the idea to place a bit larger mesh

near the top of it so can get rid of the larger stuff easier...

post-13-1248019101_thumb.jpg

I have 2 screens, both wooden frame and 1/4 screen. I made this one 18insh wide so I can spread the gravel better and see more. If its too small and crowded

Sounds like a great trip. Not bad for a half day's work.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice finds there Dave, looks like y'all had a great time. Ever get to the Charleston area, give me a holler and I'll take ya to a few spots here.

I have a homemade sifting screen too. Mine is made from a "donated" shopping basket from a home improvement store and I zip tied screen to the inside. I can get a pic of it if you want.

Hey, that fossil in your sig, an amolite I think, found that big a lot? I mean you are in Texas after all, LOL

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"