Partial T.rex tooth or Nanotyrannus?

The_bro87

I bought this tooth last week, and it arrived today. I’m really excited about it, because it’s my biggest tyrannosaur tooth so far, and I believe it’s T.rex. It was found in the Hell Creek formation, but no other locality is given. I think it’s T-rex because of the base lacking any pinching, and the overall robustness, but I always like to hear any opinions others have. Thanks!

05B9ECAC-FE81-4BB0-AF36-E090C368292F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Wasn’t Nanotyrannus declared invalid? I know it’s been in contention for quite some time now, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere recently about it.

• I found this Informative 2

Well regardless of if Nanotyrannus is invalid or not there are still what appears to be 2 types of Tyrannosaur teeth in Hell Creek. 

• I found this Informative 1

Even if it were declared invalid, sellers will still be using ‘nano’ for a long time as it will take a long time to change their mindset.

I would lean to it being a T rex but boy its close.  Nanotyrannus is very valid but you decide for yourself 

• I found this Informative 4

The fact that nanotyrannus is or is not tyrannosaurus is not universally accepted by palaeontologists. Wikipedia considers it to be dubious and possibly a nomen dubia but I reckon that’s just the writers opinion.

Nanotyrannus is valid. One of the posts in this thread did a good job of explaining the politics around the debate. 

• I found this Informative 4
1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Wasn’t Nanotyrannus declared invalid? I know it’s been in contention for quite some time now, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere recently about it.

Definitely not invalid. There are contradicting theories however stronger evidence points towards there being two tyrannosaur species in the hell Creek formation