Shipping fossils to India- illegal/expensive?

KrishnaRao10

Greetings kind people,

Hope you are having a lovely day today!

After weeks of research I decided to purchase my first set of fossils. But I'm worried about the rules and regulations here.

Is it illegal to buy and import fossils here?

Also I remember someone telling me importing antiques and minerals to India are extremely costly. 

All I need to know is, if someone from India has purchased from an international website and shipped it to India.

Did it arrive safe?

Was it super expensive to import?

Did you have to face any legal penalties?

Please help! There seems to be no information anywhere on Google, no one purchasing fossils from international websites. Customs website doesn't talk about fossils either.

Thank you :)

Questions of legality are best sourced directly with the customs officials who oversee and enforce those rules.

Rather than rely on the testimony of an online forum, it is always best to make your inquiries directly with the customs ministry or department.

• I found this Informative 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

9 hours ago, Kane said:

Questions of legality are best sourced directly with the customs officials who oversee and enforce those rules.

Rather than rely on the testimony of an online forum, it is always best to make your inquiries directly with the customs ministry or department.

Yeah you are right! I left them an email. Waiting for their reply. Thank you:)

Why not start with collecting fossils where you live and maybe share them on TFF? I bet everybody here will be interested to see specimens from India instead of well-known stuff from Morocco and China

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, RuMert said:

Why not start with collecting fossils where you live and maybe share them on TFF? I bet everybody here will be interested to see specimens from India instead of well-known stuff from Morocco and China

I would second that comment. And as far as antiquities and minerals, a good amount of minerals I saw for sale in Tucson were from India.

• I found this Informative 1