New specimen of Chirostenotes : Paper request

DD1991

A new theropod-related paper is available online:

G. F. Funston & P. J. Currie (2020) New material of Chirostenotes pergracilis (Theropoda, Oviraptorosauria) from the Campanian Dinosaur Park Formation of Alberta, Canada. Historical Biology DOI: 10.1080/08912963.2020.1726908 

For a long time, after it became clear that Caenagnathus and Chirostenotes belonged to Oviraptorosauria, and following the description of complete postcranial remains of Chirostenotes from the Dinosaur Park Formation of Canada, scientists debated whether or not Caenagnathus is a junior synonym of Chirostenotes, because CMN 2367, CMN 8538, and RTMP 79.20.1, despite overlapping with each other, lacked cranial material. A specimen from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation (ROM 43250, now recognized as distinct taxon Epichirostenotes curriei) found in 1923 was described by Hans-Dieter Sues in a paper published in 1997 and touted by him as confirming synonymy of Caenagnathus and Chirostenotes due to presence of cranial material in that specimen. Not all scientists, however, were convinced that Caenagnathus was the same genus as CMN 2367, and studies in the previous decade indicated that more than one caenagnathid mandibular morphotype existed in the Dinosaur Park Formation. Now, UALVP 59400, the first articulated Chirostenotes specimen to preserve cranial and postcranial material, shows that Caenagnathus and Chirostenotes are separate taxa, even though it's clear from the description of the younger genus Anzu that Chirostenotes and Caenagnathus belong in the same family (Caenagnathidae).

That said, does anyone have a copy of the above-mentioned paper I could look at, given that UALVP 59400 is the first bonafide Chirostenotes specimen with cranial material that overlaps with the Caenagnathus holotype?

• I found this Informative 1
  • Fossildude19 changed the title to New specimen of Chirostenotes : Paper request
9 hours ago, DD1991 said:

A new theropod-related paper is available online:

G. F. Funston & P. J. Currie (2020) New material of Chirostenotes pergracilis (Theropoda, Oviraptorosauria) from the Campanian Dinosaur Park Formation of Alberta, Canada. Historical Biology DOI: 10.1080/08912963.2020.1726908 

For a long time, after it became clear that Caenagnathus and Chirostenotes belonged to Oviraptorosauria, and following the description of complete postcranial remains of Chirostenotes from the Dinosaur Park Formation of Canada, scientists debated whether or not Caenagnathus is a junior synonym of Chirostenotes, because CMN 2367, CMN 8538, and RTMP 79.20.1, despite overlapping with each other, lacked cranial material. A specimen from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation (ROM 43250, now recognized as distinct taxon Epichirostenotes curriei) found in 1923 was described by Hans-Dieter Sues in a paper published in 1997 and touted by him as confirming synonymy of Caenagnathus and Chirostenotes due to presence of cranial material in that specimen. Not all scientists, however, were convinced that Caenagnathus was the same genus as CMN 2367, and studies in the previous decade indicated that more than one caenagnathid mandibular morphotype existed in the Dinosaur Park Formation. Now, UALVP 59400, the first articulated Chirostenotes specimen to preserve cranial and postcranial material, shows that Caenagnathus and Chirostenotes are separate taxa, even though it's clear from the description of the younger genus Anzu that Chirostenotes and Caenagnathus belong in the same family (Caenagnathidae).

That said, does anyone have a copy of the above-mentioned paper I could look at, given that UALVP 59400 is the first bonafide Chirostenotes specimen with cranial material that overlaps with the Caenagnathus holotype?

Amazing!! Thank you for sharing!! I love Dinosaur Park Formation and Alberta’s fossils!! But I’m sorry I can’t help you, I don’t have it my self.