Jump to content

Preparing a large Choffatia ammonite with attachments


Recommended Posts

One of my customers is keeping me quite busy lately. Last week he brought me among other things a relatively large, 22cm. diameter Callovian Choffatia ammonite from the Wutach Valley with another few smaller ones plus a belemnite attached. He asked me to send him play-by-play photos, which I did, so I figured I might just as well show them to you guys as well. Here are pics of both sides in the raw.

 

1a.thumb.jpg.5de9a5f1e299a7682c1bb69ac52344b7.jpg

 

1b.thumb.jpg.12c14e34c87a9d0bd60bd3a424f514b4.jpg

 

As you can probably tell, it was extracted in 3 pieces which he glued back together. You can barely see the belemnite on the right in the middle of the first photo and the smaller ammos are at the bottom right in the second one. First step was to remove as much matrix as possible with the stylus, but soon after I started, the bit with the ammonites and the end of the living chamber popped off at a hairline crack, so I set them aside for reglueing at a later point.

2.thumb.jpg.507322244a8607bc0280d169e0bee27e.jpg

 

Here's how both sides looked after a few hours with the stylus and also after glueing the above mentioned pieces back on.

3a.thumb.jpg.9a4376f0f36bce1a0e5e7f5ca726fc9e.jpg

 

3b.thumb.jpg.fa2a49d2c2ba0e0446772e03a105aee5.jpg

 

 

  • I found this Informative 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

The next step was to firstly remove as much matrix as possible with the air abrader in order to see what kind of shape the ribs were in. I started with the side with the belemnite, which turned out to have quite a bit in the way of a serpula, small oysters and iron oolites clinging to the shell.

4a.thumb.jpg.46509588b1b573b8ef74e585b393c039.jpg

 

So I had to return to the fine stylus, carefully remove the excess debris and then return to the abrader for a final once-over.

4b.thumb.jpg.978a32ebfa88f36c8d04aaf5f53eb904.jpg

 

Then I tackled the side with the ammonites, first the small ones.

5a.thumb.jpg.10a75e6c411b7b53944d418243fd3799.jpg

 

The little one at the top turned out to be a dud, so I removed it and then abraded the rest of the ammonite. This must have been the side laying face-down in the sediment, since there were no epizoans on it.

5b.thumb.jpg.03c9adc7c492cf2a1d3c725659b69011.jpg

 

 

  • I found this Informative 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

As you can see, there are quite a few gaps and cracks in it, so the next step was to pull out the Apoxie Sculpt, knead the 2 components together and get to work.

6a.thumb.jpg.8f8eefd782469e4d372ecea1f224c005.jpg

6b.thumb.jpg.8eabca3cac98df22a5c66ba519755d7b.jpg

 

 

  • I found this Informative 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I then smeared some stone meal on it with a paint brush and waited the few hours for it to harden. Then I finished off with water paints and a final coat of Rember beeswax finish. Here's the end result. The whole process took about 10 hours to complete.

7a.thumb.jpg.a9a741cbf791bae5204e9a5d4ecc29de.jpg

7b.thumb.jpg.85034daf55e8d21457740c87017d2b9c.jpg

7c.thumb.jpg.21acdd741a64bc7068445fdd1c67b387.jpg

  • I found this Informative 17
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Wonderful work, Roger. :wub:

I love seeing prepping from start to finish, amazing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Wonderful work, Roger. :wub:

I love seeing prepping from start to finish, amazing. 

Thanks Adam :) I'm happy with this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

 Phenomenal association piece, Roger! 

I like the hitch-hikers!

Thanks for posting this.  :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Siphuncle

You are keeping the Remberfluat folks an essential business!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great piece and great job on the prep\restoration as usual! Thanks for sharing Roger! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

 Phenomenal association piece, Roger! 

I like the hitch-hikers!

Thanks for posting this.  :) 

 

9 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Impressive work!

 

6 hours ago, grandpa said:

True artwork!:drool:

 

25 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Great piece and great job on the prep\restoration as usual! Thanks for sharing Roger! :) 

Thanks for the laurels, everyone :)

 

5 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

You are keeping the Remberfluat folks an essential business!

You said it! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RuMert said:

Excellent work as usual

Thanks :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04

Top quality prepping as is usual for you. This one is especially beautiful!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Top quality prepping as is usual for you. This one is especially beautiful!

Thanks. The customer was pleased with it too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  Really neat to see the step by step process you do.  Also purty dang neat to see the end results!  You do some mighty fine work my friend. 

 

RB

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RJB said:

  Really neat to see the step by step process you do.  Also purty dang neat to see the end results!  You do some mighty fine work my friend. 

 

RB

:)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Roger.  Another really cool fossil.  Here is a question for you or the troops.

 

There is a European haramyid (early mammal) named Paulchoffatia, and now you show us this Choffatia ammonite.  How did one guy (I am assuming they have the same namesake) get a mammal AND an ammonite named after him?  Who is Paul Choffat?  I know, I could google it, but that's no fun.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jpc said:

Hey Roger.  Another really cool fossil.  Here is a question for you or the troops.

 

There is a European haramyid (early mammal) named Paulchoffatia, and now you show us this Choffatia ammonite.  How did one guy (I am assuming they have the same namesake) get a mammal AND an ammonite named after him?  Who is Paul Choffat?  I know, I could google it, but that's no fun.  

He was a Swiss geologist of the 19th century who lived in Portugal and became THE pioneering specialist for Portugese paleontology and geology. There is also a typical Moroccan ammonite called Choffaticeras.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolute quality! What specific sculpting material are you using may I ask? Trying to find something worthwhile for a project of my own. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DanJeavs said:

Absolute quality! What specific sculpting material are you using may I ask? Trying to find something worthwhile for a project of my own. 

I already mentioned it above. It's called Apoxie Sculpt. Comes in various colors and you have at least a good hour to form it before it really starts to set and it can be filed and whittled after it's hardened. I can recommend it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

He was a Swiss geologist of the 19th century who lived in Portugal and became THE pioneering specialist for Portugese paleontology and geology. There is also a typical Moroccan ammonite called Choffaticeras.

Thanks.  As a Swiss American, I will put this in my mental notes.  

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Wow! Beautiful work and gives me something to aspire too. I am a dentist and appreciate the details in your preparation.

Bob

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AK hiker said:

Wow! Beautiful work and gives me something to aspire too. I am a dentist and appreciate the details in your preparation.

Bob

Thanks. I'm sure that with your experience you would also be able to do a very good job with the proper instruments. One of the best preparers I know is a goldsmith by trade.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...