04/13/2020: End of my lock-down. 

Visited a locality with oncoids-oncolites in the Santonian - Lower Campanian Geistthal-formation (59) of the Gosau-basin of Kainach. Locality is near Kreuzwirt south of Geistthal and was told to my by a friend, so I will keep it secret.

Handstueck_klein_kompr.thumb.jpg.00b5de06b9b31b23b2f0ccfb4e5ca6ce.jpg

This is a specimen from block 1. Most of block 1 is still there, I removed only about 2 kg (2 specimens) of the about 40 kg heavy block.

Only two more blocks of this material were found, despite really good outcrops just nearby (with alternations of conglomerates, sandstones and siltsones). There should be a better locality west of Geistthal, but have not found anything there during previous visits.

Kreuzwirt_Alten_Gelaende_13042020_kompr.thumb.jpg.746d342278595d9c7e05c11f53fb1cc9.jpg

Kreuzwirt_Algen_ohne.thumb.jpg.a9ae1b5fd1cfdcc6b477eff3c4893333.jpg

Last but not least some typical landscape of the Gosau-basin of Kainach. Cherry trees etc. are blooming at the moment, but everything was soooo try. But we finally had some rain during last night!

5e95fb193cdbc_Gelnde_klein_kompr.jpg.1048de794e9ee328a6e8e0e0028a2f50.jpg

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 6

I had to look up what these are - they are the result of cyanobacterial growth.  Cool stuff, Franz - thanks for showing us! :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1