Mastodon or Mammoth toe bone?

The Dude

5e925b0136041_P_20200411_195917_LL2.thumb.jpg.d9405f6bbad6bd36441c8841c0ed9edf.jpg

Hi again , 

I found this in the peace river in Nocatee , FL 

Looks like I found leg bone to something ,

It's approximately 8" (200mm) one end is 5" (127mm) wide and the other is 4" (100mm) wide in the middle it's diameter is the size of a large male wrist . Weighs 1050 grams . What you think ? 

P_20200411_193729_LL.jpg

P_20200411_195901_LL~2.jpg

P_20200411_195821_LL~2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Hello everyone , I am reposting this along with a short video I uploaded to Google drive . My last post received no response and hoping someone might notice it this time that has some knowledge about the bone . 

I found this in the peace river in Florida . It is considered the Hawthorn Group, Peace River Formation, Bone Valley Member which ranges from Miocene to Pliocene.  I believe it may be eithor a Mastodon or Mammoth toe bone. 
I included a picture that leads me to this and hope someone might agree and narrow it down for me.  Thanks for looking !

Dimensions : 8" (200mm) one end is 5" (127mm) wide and the other is 4" (100mm) wide in the middle it's diameter is the size of a large male wrist . Weighs 1050 grams

This is quick video (30 secs) of this fossil, (that's coco stuck her face in my video) that I uploaded to my personal Google drive, I hope it don't violate any forum policy. 

P_20200417_184630_LL.jpg

P_20200417_184616_LL.jpg

2017-08-14-14.02.27-e1507821161637.jpg

I think your on the right track with mammoth or mastodon but I am not experienced enough to make an ID for you.  I am sure some more experienced members will weigh in soon.

@The Dude

Please keep discussion of the same fossil in the same topic.  Separate topics on the same piece create confusion and a lack of continuity in the comments.  I've merged your topics.  Thanks. ;)

Nice find!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks PODIGGER and sorry JohnJ , didn't know it was a problem , it's been a couple weeks with no replies so thought I would try again , I'll be sure to apply your request to my future posts 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Thanks PODIGGER and sorry JohnJ , didn't know it was a problem , it's been a couple weeks with no replies so thought I would try again , I'll be sure to apply your request to my future posts 

No problem.  

Sometimes it takes a while for the right eyes to see your post.  If you have additional photos taken from right angles to the bone, it would probably help.  Try to photograph it dry.

@Harry Pristis @PrehistoricFlorida

I think its a sloth Tibia, but I have seen so little sloth material I'm not sure.  Shape isn't right for an elephant toe.

• I found this Informative 2

I put that video up hoping that would help this bone is as black as it looks, lots of the teeth and other things from peace river are deep black like this, I posted a mako and a unknown vertebrae previously in this same forum and they  have  the same dark black color. 

21 minutes ago, ParkerPaleo said:

I think its a sloth Tibia, but I have seen so little sloth material I'm not sure.  Shape isn't right for an elephant toe.

I agree with @ParkerPaleo.

Here are some reference drawings and a partial I found.

895.jpeg

896.jpeg

897.jpeg

898.jpeg

899.jpeg

900.jpeg

901.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

Well I think this a great find then! I was in about 3 feet of water walking the peace river and tripped over this thing. 1st year Hunter about my 10th time out and I'll be in the river tomorrow if anyone needs me 8)

Ok this looks right as I hold this in my hand , the circle area is where some bone is missing on my find , I'm guessing it attached at this point to the bone on the right this is great! 

896.jpeg.ac7ae8db36237496dc8a2a33878cee62~2.jpeg

@The DudeThe cup/socket on the end was the big clue for me.  Elephant, and sauropod, metacarpals/metatarsals are meant to be columns and lock together in a support structure.  A socket for rotation makes no sense for them.  There is also some muscle scarring that indicates sideways movement in your video.  

@JohnJ Thanks for the help on the pictures.  I was looking at similar images but not finding the view I wanted.

Its certainly a rare find.  Very cool!

• I found this Informative 3

8 hours ago, ParkerPaleo said:

@The DudeThe cup/socket on the end was the big clue for me.  Elephant, and sauropod, metacarpals/metatarsals are meant to be columns and lock together in a support structure.  A socket for rotation makes no sense for them.  There is also some muscle scarring that indicates sideways movement in your video.  

@JohnJ Thanks for the help on the pictures.  I was looking at similar images but not finding the view I wanted.

Its certainly a rare find.  Very cool!

Parker & John,

:thumbsu: TFF is an amazing place. NICE collaboration.  Thanks for all you do. :fistbump:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 4/17/2020 at 9:21 PM, JohnJ said:

No problem.  

Sometimes it takes a while for the right eyes to see your post.  If you have additional photos taken from right angles to the bone, it would probably help.  Try to photograph it dry.

@Harry Pristis @PrehistoricFlorida

Definitely a Paramylodon sp. sloth tibia.

Eremotherium eomigrans? Looks like 3 species found in Florida, guess would be hard to pinpoint from this 1 bone.