wellwellwell

Hello!

I found something I can’t get a line on, so I’ve come to the forum for help. This is a beach find from the James River in Virginia.  I think most of the marine materials are Miocene, I’m not sure of the formation(s).  I think this a higher likely hood of being a small marine mammal bulla, but the form is different than any others I have seen, it looks sort of like a mammal tooth, but without the root.  It is mineralized, no smell from flame, and very hard, but not quite as dense as other earbone material I have found at the same site.  There are traces of black harder and more reflective “enamel” especially in the pocket, between the ridges on what could be a chewing surface.  It doesn’t match any specific mammal tooth I can find but it has some of that “feeling” in terms of density. Not much wear, is it possible for an unerrupted tooth to not have such a smooth form on the back.  As I write this I realize how illogical my thoughts seem, and how little I know about teeth...

i found a very pretty cowshark tooth yesterday too, for something a bit more recognizable.

thanks for your time,

EA588A8A-47F8-4250-BF31-442677C820AC.jpeg

403ACFD7-37CE-4160-AF8F-DEC1144BF60A.jpeg

D30FA719-1E7E-4C4F-B88C-90765B0A6052.jpeg

686B11A3-AED1-4335-9952-5E23673FE329.jpeg

B4C897BB-E05B-4823-8E6C-803C3ED2FD9A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Wow thank you! I would not have thought it was from a fish, very interesting!

1 hour ago, wellwellwell said:

Wow thank you! I would not have thought it was from a fish, very interesting!

You're welcome, :) glad I could help.

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

The cowshark is a very nice find!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks! I agree, it’s the best one I have found.   Amazing that something so fragile has been shuffling around in the rubble, and stayed so intact.