Pagurus

I'm working on some new fossil fish paintings and thought I'd share them here. I'm trying to work my way through the Green River formation fish first, though I'm sure I won't paint them all.  I've only done two so far, but I'll add more as I paint them. The quality will vary, I'm sure.

Here's my take on a Priscacara. 

5eb86929238de_priscacaramjg-1b.jpg.86d4299959e0d60c8b008e5b3f9c48eb.jpg

and of course a Knightia:

5eb869490ae4f_knightiapaintingmjg-1a.jpg.3fe2083c4b535ed2eba3c7c530f6e290.jpg

I've started on a diplomystus, and will post that soon.

Thanks for looking.

Oh, for those interested, I'm using gouache paints, similar to watercolor but more opaque. 

• I found this Informative 25
  • Enjoyed 4

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Ooh, pretty fish! Nice job. They look great. Do you think you will get around to painting the gar or stingray? 

Great work Mike! They both look superb!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

These are really quite nice.  Would you mind if I printed a copy of each to show with the fossils of each that I have?

51 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Ooh, pretty fish! Nice job. They look great. Do you think you will get around to painting the gar or stingray? 

Thanks. I wanted the priscacara to look pretty so I gave it some pretty colors. I think I would enjoy painting a gar and a stingray. I had a baby skate hatch in my aquarium a few years ago, from an egg case I found washed up on a local beach. Thanks for the suggestion!

48 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Great work Mike! They both look superb!

Thanks Dave. Good thing I didn't have to fly-fish for them.

25 minutes ago, grandpa said:

These are really quite nice.  Would you mind if I printed a copy of each to show with the fossils of each that I have?

I'd be honored. 

• I found this Informative 2

I really love that Priscacara. This is some excellent work here, Mike!  

Thanks for showing us. 

Can't wait to see the next one. :) :popcorn:

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Wow, Mike... Your eye for texture and colour is spectacular!:look:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Excellent.

I love them both and look forward to the next one............

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

@Fossildude19, @Kane, @Tidgy's Dad    Thank you Tim, Kane, Adam. I'll post more soon. I appreciate your comments.  I'll try not to disappoint, though  I'll never be satisfied with my own work. I occasionally like what I've done, but not often.  I have seen improvement, though, over the past year, and I do feel good about that.

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice.. I would like to print up the Knightia one, too. I don't have many GR fish but that's one I do have and it's always nice to have a reconstruction to go with certain fossils in the collection.

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Very nice.. I would like to print up the Knightia one, too. I don't have many GR fish but that's one I do have and it's always nice to have a reconstruction to go with certain fossils in the collection.

Thanks. Please do. I think all our collections bring our finds back to life a little.

On 5/11/2020 at 7:44 PM, Pagurus said:

I'll try not to disappoint, though  I'll never be satisfied with my own work. I occasionally like what I've done, but not often.

You are your own worst critic! We all tend to see the flaws and mistakes in our own work. This is a double edged sword. It drives us to do better next time and improve, but it can also make us feel unsatisfied; longing for perfection. Too much self criticism can lead one to stop enjoying their craft altogether, since it can make you feel so inadequate.

Reset assured that your paintings are good, but don't just take my word for it! It is evident by members asking to print them to show with their fossil displays. I don't know anyone who would want a bad representation of their fossil out for the world to see.

BTW... I like both of your paintings and can't wait to see what comes next! Great representations! :) :popcorn:

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Here's a Diplomystus I finished today. This has been an enjoyable undertaking so far, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

5ebde796a97de_diplo2020-2b.jpg.d3dbaca9cd1ab3678f84b14834d8ddce.jpg

• I found this Informative 14

I am in awe of your use of understated colour variation, Mike. That, and the sheen of light. :dinothumb: Oh, and the fins and texture is top shelf!

Kane, I wish my painting was actually worthy of your awe, but I'm afraid the background variation in light and color is an artifact of the photograph. The background is actually not painted, and only white. Sorry. I will have to get my scanner working again in the future.

Mike

Just now, Pagurus said:

Kane, I wish my painting was actually worthy of your awe, but I'm afraid the background variation in light and color is an artifact of the photograph. The background is actually not painted, and only white. Sorry. I will have to get my scanner working again in the future.

Mike

Are you talking about the space around the fish? I know all too well the challenges with lighting when it comes to that! I was speaking of the fish itself! Even the muted discolourations are well done (on par with the likely long process of scales on the ones above).

Beautiful!  I will add this to my display to enhance the Dip fossil I have, with your permission.

• I Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Kane said:

Are you talking about the space around the fish? I know all too well the challenges with lighting when it comes to that! I was speaking of the fish itself! Even the muted discolourations are well done (on par with the likely long process of scales on the ones above).

Well, I guess I'm just not very good with compliments, Kane. Thank you. I really don't know what I'm doing when I paint, I just work on the painting until it looks right to me. Thanks for educating me, and your compliments. You've made my day. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Beautiful!  I will add this to my display to enhance the Dip fossil I have, with your permission.

Great! If I keep painting you're going to have to get more fossils!

13 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

I just work on the painting until it looks right to me.

Artist [noun]. definition: what you just wrote here. :) 

24 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

If I keep painting you're going to have to get more fossils

So . . .  just so you know, that is the sum total of my GRF collection.  I can't wait to see what I am getting next.  :popcorn:  :P

1 hour ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Beautiful! Very nice work!

Thank you! I'm pleased that you like it.