Jump to content

ID on fossil bone, Calvert Cliffs


Recommended Posts

I found this along Calvert cliffs area north of Matoaka Cabins. I not sure what kind of bone it is or what it is from after trying to research.

C7E091BF-791C-4255-A89F-C05B02B39CD4.jpeg

6681908E-A109-4CFD-8BC1-C22FF3FCEBA4.jpeg

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
will stevenson

some type of bony scute, looks modernish to me, if fossilized could be turtle related? no idea really though:P

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Jersey Devil

It reminds me of a patella

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Pristis

That's unusual.  Not a patella, nor is it a epiphysis of any familiar land mammal -- all those bones have contoured surfaces.  Maybe @will stevensonhas the right idea in suggesting a turtle bone epiphysis (which tend to be much less contoured).  But, I don't know with any confidence.

 

patellae.thumb.jpg.78ee15bdcb5494981594775c0f2587ce.jpg

  • I found this Informative 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if this could be one of the pebbly bits of osteoderm from the head shield of a molid sunfish...

  • I found this Informative 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD
2 hours ago, Boesse said:

I wonder if this could be one of the pebbly bits of osteoderm from the head shield of a molid sunfish...

Was thinking the same thing, it’s got the right texture. Mola pileata is the only sunfish currently known from the chop tank FM, but considering Ranzania species are known from both the Calvert and St. Mary’s Fm, it’s likely they are present as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Pristis

Which bones?  Does either of you have an illustration?

 

5ecfe2d2f17fb_molamola.thumb.jpg.023edf40a912851acb85a62c2636b967.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

My first thought was proximal human femoral epiphysis. Glad it's a fish bone instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Scylla said:

My first thought was proximal human femoral epiphysis. Glad it's a fish bone instead.

I am glad it is a fish bone as well lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boesse said:

I wonder if this could be one of the pebbly bits of osteoderm from the head shield of a molid sunfish...

 

11 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

That's unusual.  Not a patella, nor is it a epiphysis of any familiar land mammal -- all those bones have contoured surfaces.  Maybe @will stevensonhas the right idea in suggesting a turtle bone epiphysis (which tend to be much less contoured).  But, I don't know with any confidence.

 

patellae.thumb.jpg.78ee15bdcb5494981594775c0f2587ce.jpg

 

11 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Which bones?  Does either of you have an illustration?

 

5ecfe2d2f17fb_molamola.thumb.jpg.023edf40a912851acb85a62c2636b967.jpg

Thank you all for the insight and replies! Much appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD
22 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Which bones?  Does either of you have an illustration?

Here’s a partial dermal shield from Westmoreland area (H and I). I found a jugular plate (F and G) last week.

49EC1322-691C-4201-A631-B7A4B12A8560.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Pristis

I do not see the resemblance to the mystery bone.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD
50 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I do not see the resemblance to the mystery bone.

It is in the bone density and texture, keep in mind the bone in question would just be a singular part of the shield. They vary by position. Here’s a singular part.
 

@MarcoSr has seen more than I, perhaps he could confirm or deny

35000CAF-BDEF-433F-B631-87148E96484B.jpeg

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Petalodus12
1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Here’s a partial dermal shield from Westmoreland area (H and I). I found a jugular plate (F and G) last week.

49EC1322-691C-4201-A631-B7A4B12A8560.jpeg

I agree that it looks like one of these sunfish bones. I’ve only found one (similar to the bone shown in F and G, but I forget the name). However the texture and overall “feel” is very unique and unusual, and this bone looks like it has that “feel”

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

It is in the bone density and texture, keep in mind the bone in question would just be a singular part of the shield. They vary by position. Here’s a singular part.
 

@MarcoSr has seen more than I, perhaps he could confirm or deny

35000CAF-BDEF-433F-B631-87148E96484B.jpeg

These look like the same texture as the bone in question.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Pristis

I still don't know what the disc may be, but the evidence for mola mola bone is weak.  "this bone looks like it has that “feel”  is oxymoronic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Petalodus12
57 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I still don't know what the disc may be, but the evidence for mola mola bone is weak.  "this bone looks like it has that “feel”  is oxymoronic.

Very true, I should have chosen better wording:DOH:

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

It is in the bone density and texture, keep in mind the bone in question would just be a singular part of the shield. They vary by position. Here’s a singular part.
 

@MarcoSr has seen more than I, perhaps he could confirm or deny

 

 

I haven't found any ocean sunfish bones similar to the bone in this post so I really can't help.

 

Marco Sr.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...