2019 Hell Creek dig trip

hadrosauridae

Yes, that title is correct :DOH:   I finally got my video finished and uploaded from last year's trip to South Dakota.  This is a trip my son and I started making back in 2009 when he was 8 years old.  Its always a fun time, with road trips and tourist trap stops, camping, exploring on top of the fossil hunt.  The trip was awesome with us digging at a new quarry wall, lots of great fossils, but my gopro overheated a couple times and ate some of my footage.  So I ended up putting this video edit on hold while I tried to decide what direction to take, and then I started prepping, and then I wanted to wait until I had the biggest pieces finished out to show.

• I found this Informative 7

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

are you guys using PaleoBond as a consolidant out there?

This makes me want to go  and dig.  We have cancelled a lot of our dinod igs this summer, but a freind is driving out from back east and this saturday I will be at a bone bed with hima nd his kid.  Yee haaa.  

Edit:  Man, I really need to proof-read my typing.

• I found this Informative 1

52 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

Nice Video !

How much of the finds you were allowed to keep ?

Most of it!  We didnt get to keep the possible Ank scute as they are rather uncommon for this area and needed to be recorded and studied.  We also left the unknown piece from the end as it was unknown and needed to be IDed first.  Everything else we kept, along with a lot of the tumbled bits and pieces that are typical for here.

31 minutes ago, jpc said:

are you guys using PaleoBond as a consolidant out there?

This makes me want to go  and dig.  We have cancelled a lot of our dinod igs this summer, but a freind is driving out from back east and this saturday I will be at a bone bed with hima nd his kid.  Yee haaa.  

I think Walter was using a different brand, but the same type.  I think he has switched to using PB02 for the field now, since he is also a seller for it now.   Good luck and good weather for your dig this weekend!  

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Great video!! I’ve wanted to do that for what feels like forever(only since December)! How many were commercial quality?

8 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Great video!! I’ve wanted to do that for what feels like forever(only since December)! How many were commercial quality?

surprisingly, only the vert and the tooth.  I opted not to bring home the vert and I still kick myself about it.  We didnt make the find, Walter had uncovered the top of it earlier and left it.  We finished the excavation for him, but since it wasnt "our" find I didnt have any attachment to it.  If it had both processes in good shape, I might have considered it more at the time.  But its still a cool recovery and I miss not having it in my collection.

6 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

surprisingly, only the vert and the tooth.  I opted not to bring home the vert and I still kick myself about it.  We didnt make the find, Walter had uncovered the top of it earlier and left it.  We finished the excavation for him, but since it wasnt "our" find I didnt have any attachment to it.  If it had both processes in good shape, I might have considered it more at the time.  But its still a cool recovery and I miss not having it in my collection.

It was great, I would have wanted to bring it home, but I imagine that wouldn’t come cheap! I would take home every tooth I found, that’s the biggest to me, that and finding my own bone that was over 10-20 inches! I hope too do it next year! You guys did great!!!

Nice video, cool trips.  Walt offers lots of folks especially kids an opportunity to collect/dig in the Hell Creek a super experience that few can get on their own.  His knowledge is as good as it gets so its nice to have him around.   Over the years I've run into a number of collectors in hotels or restaurants in Belle Fouche who had a great experience at his sites despite not being able to keep certain items.  

What an awesome thing to do with your son every year! I have a few more years until mine would be old enough for Momma to feel comfortable letting him come on fossil hunts with me, but I can’t wait, and your video has made me all the more excited! 

Good father/son time, awesome finds, and nice prep work. Thanks for sharing! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I just watched the video - wow!  How amazing to find a Nanotyrannous tooth right next to an Edmontosaurus rib!!! :default_faint:

1 hour ago, Monica said:

I just watched the video - wow!  How amazing to find a Nanotyrannous tooth right next to an Edmontosaurus rib!!! :default_faint:

LOL, yeah I like to pretend that it was lost during an attack and stuck in the flesh when it was washed downstream.  But the truth is that its just random.

18 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

What Dino did the vert come from?

Walter IDed it as from Edmontosaurus.  It looks like it should be a cervical vert.

18 hours ago, Allosaurus said:

Very cool finds! Do you have a photo of everything post prep? It all looks amazing. 

I'll have to get some.  

17 hours ago, RuMert said:

Just watched it, I'm subscribed. Nice finds. The matrix is so rich in dino fossils, hard to believe

Yeah, the site is packed with fossils.  Its a lag deposit, so all this stuff was tumbling down during a flood event.  The field drawing for the main quarry (on his website) really shows how much material is there.

6 hours ago, caterpillar said:

Nice to see digging on the field.

Lucky men with this soft matrix!

LOL, the matrix is partially soft.  Some areas are packed with ironstone rocks and those have to be painstakingly worked out because if they are pried out you could crush a bone or tooth sitting under or behind it.

2 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

What an awesome thing to do with your son every year! I have a few more years until mine would be old enough for Momma to feel comfortable letting him come on fossil hunts with me, but I can’t wait, and your video has made me all the more excited! 

Glad you enjoyed it! Most all little kids love dinos and fossils,  I'm happy that its something he still enjoys.  This began as a special father/son trip when I got home from Iraq in 2009.  Every year I ask if he wants to go back again, and the answer has always been "yes".  Honestly, if he decided he didnt want to go, Id still be going alone but its a lot of fun having our get aways.  Hes 18 now so there might not be too many more before HIS life gets in the way.

• I found this Informative 3

18 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I took my daughter on hers and my first hunt when she had just turned 5. My littlest one started at just under 2 in mazon creek. Needless to say he was not very helpful lol. As nice as it sounds to hunt alone, I can't really imagine doing it much without the kids.