Mitochondrial DNA Study Reveals 5 Clades of North American Mastodons

Scylla

2 hours ago, Scylla said:

Scientist extracts 33 mitochondrial from 122 different fossils to trace out mastodon families. Alberta seems confusing with three unrelated groups. 

https://gizmodo.com/monumental-dna-study-reveals-secrets-of-north-american-1844915753

Thanks for sharing:

“There’s some things that really pop out that I’m still scratching my head over,” said Widga. “For instance, the Missouri animal. We’ve got radiocarbon dates on it, and it’s 13,200 years old. It shares a site with about 35 other mastodons. And we all expected it to plot very closely with everything else from the Midwest, but it bumps out, and it plots with this animal from Alberta. So there’s a lot of variability, and we still aren’t really sure what that means yet.”

In some future, future world, a cellphone might have an attachment to take radiocarbon dates in the field. I have have a never ending curiosity and can always imagine...:zen:

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

In some future, future world, a cellphone might have an attachment to take radiocarbon dates in the field. I have have a never ending curiosity and can always imagine...:zen:

I vory much would like that. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

59 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Thanks for sharing:

It would cease being a phone at that point and would be a Star Trek style tricorder. Oh, wait, it already is. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcworld.com/article/3181416/how-to-transform-your-smartphone-into-a-real-world-star-trek-tricorder.amp.html

52 minutes ago, Scylla said:

It would cease being a phone at that point and would be a Star Trek style tricorder. Oh, wait, it already is. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcworld.com/article/3181416/how-to-transform-your-smartphone-into-a-real-world-star-trek-tricorder.amp.html

The carbon dating processes require an accelerator mass spectrometer that can measure the amount of carbon-14, or radiocarbon, present in bones, wood, fabrics or anything of biological origin. However, the process can take up to several weeks as there are only about 100 facilities in the world that have spectrometers.Apr 15, 2016

:shakehead::shakehead::fear::fear::DOH:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"