Unknown bivalve on and with Trochactaeon snails

FranzBernhard

Hello!

I have collected quite many specimens with Trochactaeon snails from April to May 2020. They all come from the Upper Santonian to Lower Campanian upper Geistthal-formation or Lower Afling-formation of the Gosau of Kainach in western Styria.

Some of the specimens contain abundant black, wavy, "folded", shell fragments. They seem to grow on the Trochactaeon snails in some places. They resemble small oysters in some ways. Unfortunately, I have not found anything conclusive about their identity. I found a pic in a paper of Kollmann (2014), with some somewhat similar, unidentified bivalves growing on an Upper Cretaceous snail (last pic). Other accompanying fossils are very rare fragments of phaceloid coral colonies (they to not grow on the snails, though).

Any suggestions are highly welcomed! Thank you very much!

Franz Bernhard

First specimen is a double sided polished slab with abundant black shell fragments. Some of them seem to have grown on the Trochactaeon snails (epibiontic?).AN_Sandstein_AN4385_klein_kompr.thumb.jpg.31c126b97e2ab1e2e730ebc0e8f92a33.jpg

Here are some individual polished snails with bivalve fragments. Some of them seem to have grown on the snails (white polygons). The circular things in the middle left pic seem to be the same; there is a snail shell just a few mm below the polished surface at this spot (the specimen is very thin there).

AN_Austern_300_kompr.thumb.jpg.702c00dd8bd23244f4ecc18aca40cc0f.jpg

Rarely, also on weathered surfaces these bivalves(??) can be seen, growing on the snail shell. But I am not really sure, if this is the same thing as in the polished sections or if this is something else:

Austern_4757_kompr.thumb.jpg.78eab4009cfbd58f5cf37b0e42815da8.jpg

This is the reference pic from Kollmann (2014), epibiontic bivalves on Nerinella grossouvrei.

Nerinellawithbivalves.jpg.061fd0e2689c99f761698938af52c5c5.jpg

Thanks a lot!

• I found this Informative 3