Books on Extinct Elephants

King Butler

I've taken a great intreast in the subject of extinct elephants and wondered if there were any interesting books on them?

Books with other megafauna and the Cenozoic in general included are fine.

Fossildude19

Here is a free PDF to get you started. 

LINK to other options.

ebolusyon_ng_elepante_evolution_of_elephants.jpg

Image from HERE.

• I found this Informative 1
10 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

(Cut so as not to over repost images)

Thank you very much :)

Mammoths: Ice Age Giants by Adrian Lister is a great book on prehistoric elephants. 

It's mainly focussed on mammoths, but the early chapters also cover earlier probiscideans. It's a really cool book and quite a fun read.

Another book I really recommend (although not being exclusively about probiscideans) is The Princeton Field Guide to Prehistoric Mammals by Donald Prothero which is a must-have if you are into prehistoric mammals :) 

Ánything by Heinz Tobien* ,** or Pascal Tassy would be good

*presupposing you can read German

** strictly speaking,Tobien never wrote a book(because that was what yo were asking about)

edit

eg:

Remarks on the cranium of Eozygodon morotoensis (Proboscidea, Mammalia) from the early Miocene of Africa,
and the question of the monophyly of Elephantimorpha
Pascal Tassy

revue de paleobiologie/dec.2018

593-607_Tassy.pdf

tassyaPNOR).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 2:07 PM, ziggycardon said:

Mammoths: Ice Age Giants by Adrian Lister is a great book on prehistoric elephants. 

It's mainly focussed on mammoths, but the early chapters also cover earlier probiscideans. It's a really cool book and quite a fun read.

Another book I really recommend (although not being exclusively about probiscideans) is The Princeton Field Guide to Prehistoric Mammals by Donald Prothero which is a must-have if you are into prehistoric mammals :) 

An old friend also recommended the Prothero book.  I've read several of his technical articles and mainstream books.  He's a good writer.  He explains technical terms and mixes them into his mainstream writing so that it is understandable to the layman.  I have seen the book.  The cover art wasn't a style I really like.  I've been spoiled by the photorealistice work of Mauricio Anton and others.

I don't have "Mammoths, Mastodonts, and Elephants: Biology, Behavior, and the Fossil Record" but I've heard it's a good one.

Jess 

mastodontsbk.jpg