Jump to content

PrehistoricWonders

Recommended Posts

There has been talk that the coyotes here in Maine are coyote/wolf hybrids. They are sizeable animals, easily mistakable for German shepherds.

I suspect this may be found to be something entirely different though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
PrehistoricWonders

Yeah... I had been almost certain it was red wolf, but someone who is younger, but works or volunteers at a museum said it was a big coyote canine, so I’m torn now... I still feel like it’s big for coyote, but not necessarily red wolf, would a hybrid be a possibility in Florida?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Pristis

Understand that isolated canines are often very difficult to identify.  Context of the find is important.  Because there is individual variation in tooth size, and perhaps gender variation, it is fruitless to speculate on hybridization to explain a single isolated canine tooth.  Sometimes, you just have to accept that no trivial name can be deduced.

 

 

  • I found this Informative 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
PrehistoricWonders
2 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Understand that isolated canines are often very difficult to identify.  Context of the find is important.  Because there is individual variation in tooth size, and perhaps gender variation, it is fruitless to speculate on hybridization to explain a single isolated canine tooth.  Sometimes, you just have to accept that no trivial name can be deduced.

 

 

Ok, I’m happy with either red wolf or coyote, I just wanted to check to make sure that if it could be identified, it would be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Understand that isolated canines are often very difficult to identify.  Context of the find is important.  Because there is individual variation in tooth size, and perhaps gender variation, it is fruitless to speculate on hybridization to explain a single isolated canine tooth.  Sometimes, you just have to accept that no trivial name can be deduced.

 

 

It's a known unknown ? :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Pristis
21 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Ok, I’m happy with either red wolf or coyote, I just wanted to check to make sure that if it could be identified, it would be.

 

You missed the point. It may be neither red wolf nor coyote.  It is certainly only Canis sp.

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
PrehistoricWonders
43 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

 

You missed the point. It may be neither red wolf nor coyote.  It is certainly only Canis sp.

Ohh... I’m happy with anything in that genus, still, I’d prefer a specific species, but genus is fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...