Jump to content

ID requested: Miocene (micro) sharkteeth from Lee Creek Mine (USA)


ziggycardon

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!

 

Little over a week ago I recieved some new bags of microfossil matrix and this time there was a bag with material from the Lee Creek Mine, Yorktown Formation, Aurora, North Carolina, USA (Miocene, 14,5 mya)

This material is quite rich in shark teeth as I found little over 90 shark teeth in it. 
I have photographed a couple of them already and posted them in my microfossil topic. But since I doubt I will get many help with the identification of the teeth there I am going to repost the first batch of teeth here (I apologize for the repost admins) and upload the rest of my finds from that material in this topic from now on.


I have tried to ID some of the teeth with the help of the website Elasmo & the paper "Geology and Paleontology of the Lee Creek Mine, North Carolina, III by Clayton E. Ray and David J. Bohaska", but I feel like my eyes aren't enough trained yet to distinguish enough to make proper ID's on all of the finds, so I not all ID's will be a 100 % correct I am affraid. 

 

Here are some of the first teeth I photographed.

I would be gratefull if some of you could help my ID some of the teeth of verify /correct some of the ID's I have come up with. 

If the photo's aren't clear of good enough, just let me know and I'll try to make some more/better ones.

Thank you in advance! 

 

The first tooth which is by far also the favorite in the bunch: 

Tooth 1: a Sphyrna zygaena tooth?

5f958ccfa6103_160319796799137899(6).jpg.07507fea64bddeeb831b2fd240c955b9.jpg5f958cd06ec84_160319796799137899(7).thumb.jpg.3be0f3c12520699692ed00013ae97358.jpg

 

Tooth 2: a chunk of Galeocerdo sp. tooth

5f958cd1130c2_160319796799137899(8).jpg.b9479c79f2c6b8c1e6ac29eec5fafcb1.jpg

 

Tooth 3: another Galeocerdo sp. tooth

5f958cd1a34a9_160319796799137899(9).jpg.e60cf35592ddee00a543f0af64c5ee77.jpg

 

 

Tooth 4: This one is a tooth which I have a hard time identifying as I feel it has a lot of features that return in different teeth.
Physogaleus? Sphyrna? Loxodon?

5f958cd2696eb_160319796799137899(10).jpg.4e3d9207fcda1c229aba9ccdd0f968ad.jpg

 

 

Tooth 5: another I haven't managed to ID yet.

5f958cd36764d_160319796799137899(11).jpg.6ad9f6bc08d88b6b790e7a533a6dd202.jpg

 

Tooth 6: Carcharhinus sp.

5f958cd45256f_160319796799137899(12).jpg.ffbea6e19cfb7efde7dcb3213e7ed727.jpg5f958cd52021b_160319796799137899(13).jpg.1e55e5d446ca4afed15b2d027198b007.jpg

 

Tooth 7: could this be Negaprion sp.?

5f958cd6267b4_160319796799137899(14).jpg.23ce7e64834fbe023dfef336a2eeb5a3.jpg

 

Tooth 8:

5f958cd7375cd_160319796799137899(15).jpg.ce77f68a00d2ce86995b2022e0b01ae7.jpg

 

Tooth 9: Scyliorhinus sp.?

5f958cd7dd910_160319796799137899(16).thumb.jpg.0899927f4fe451feed2e4a75a51c06f0.jpg

 

Tooth 10: Megachasma sp.?

5f958cd898783_160319796799137899(17).thumb.jpg.7dd163a5115e2ec39c40a373b3f659a0.jpg

5f958cd9397ab_160319796799137899(18).thumb.jpg.c4548273c8f0a55e2fc266c0238e40ce.jpg

 

Tooth 11: Megachasma sp.?

5f958cd9d49e6_160319796799137899(19).jpg.b83e24f829de77d425a9ff1e22e7c206.jpg5f958cda814d4_160319796799137899(20).thumb.jpg.5f3bca7d65a2fefe243b88b57e122668.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Yorktown Formation is Pliocene not Miocene. The Lee Creek Mine has deposits of the Miocene Pungo River Formation, the Pliocene Yorktown Formation and the Pleistocene James City Formation. The spoil piles that the micro matrix comes from is a mix of this. You can find fossils of all these ages in it. 

 

Now your teeth, teeth 10 and 11 are not Megachasma. Megachasma teeth from Lee Creek are ridiculously rare. In the 20 plus years I have collected from the mine and / or the spoil piles I have seen exactly 2 of these. One is in a collection and the other is one I found and had ID'd by Dr. Kenshu Shamada as a Megachasma. They are likely Carcharhinids. 

 

I agree with your ID for tooth 1. Tooth 2 looks like Galeocerdo. Tooth 3 Physogaleus. Tooth 9 looks like Scyliorhinus, but how big is it? 

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sixgill pete said:

The Yorktown Formation is Pliocene not Miocene. The Lee Creek Mine has deposits of the Miocene Pungo River Formation, the Pliocene Yorktown Formation and the Pleistocene James City Formation. The spoil piles that the micro matrix comes from is a mix of this. You can find fossils of all these ages in it. 

 

Now your teeth, teeth 10 and 11 are not Megachasma. Megachasma teeth from Lee Creek are ridiculously rare. In the 20 plus years I have collected from the mine and / or the spoil piles I have seen exactly 2 of these. One is in a collection and the other is one I found and had ID'd by Dr. Kenshu Shamada as a Megachasma. They are likely Carcharhinids. 

 

I agree with your ID for tooth 1. Tooth 2 looks like Galeocerdo. Tooth 3 Physogaleus. Tooth 9 looks like Scyliorhinus, but how big is it? 

Thank you very much for the help and the additional information! :)

I'll have to do some more searching to find a better match for tooth 10 & 11, perhaps they could be upper anterior Notorynchus teeth?

Tooth 9 is just a little over 2 mm, it is the smallest tooth I've found in the matrix. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

At 2mm I would say yes for catshark on #9. Also 10 and 11 are not Notorynchus either. Like I said they are likely Carcharhinids.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think tooth 1 is Rhizoprionodon sp. ( Sharpnose shark) .  I agree that teeth 10 & 11 are not Megachasma or Notorynchus teeth.

 

Marco Sr.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

I think tooth 1 is Rhizoprionodon sp. ( Sharpnose shark) .  I agree that teeth 10 & 11 are not Megachasma or Notorynchus teeth.

 

Marco Sr.

I concur with Marco, Rhizoprionodon sp.  on tooth 1. Image from elasmo.com below.

 

Tooth 5 could be  Rhizoprionodon sp., or a hammerhead (Sphyrna sp.). When the crowns get shorter, I find it difficult to tell them apart.

 

I believe teeth 6 to 8 are lower Carcharhinus sp.

ds1204v30-web.jpg

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the replies, they are all very helpfull! 
Tomorrow I'll try to take some pictures of some of the other shark teeth if it isn't going to be cloudy at least. :) 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I saw the first tooth, I thought "what a nice sharpnose shark tooth"! I only have one of those.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a couple more finds I found in the Lee Creek Matrix

 

Tooth 12: Physogaleus sp. or Paragaleus sp.?

5f996cb54834b_160388909965130370(2).jpg.7bd2a264b97fe13da00ac12be233d75f.jpg

5f996cb6968ff_160388909965130370(3).jpg.af7e2666ad544f6c9b3d492f4b27ea6f.jpg

 

Tooth 13:

5f996cb8b4990_160388909965130370(4).jpg.5cd85a2ed0d7cedcdd9ac79374105f17.jpg

 

Tooth 14: Carcharhinus sp.?

5f996cba08283_160388909965130370(5).jpg.b5279a2e5dd01b9e068513a4f4627bd5.jpg

 

Tooth 15: a small Physogaleus or something else?

5f996cbb3e2f3_160388909965130370(6).thumb.jpg.be6bde387f376bec13b086c7e9c3486c.jpg

 

Tooth 16: Not sure, maybe Galeorhinus? maybe something else?

5f996cbd6d404_160388909965130370(7).jpg.efe0e9dbe6c794cdce6a15e620020e92.jpg

 

Tooth 17: Carcharinus sp.?

5f996cbf01ee0_160388909965130370(8).jpg.166cc323fe8a153eb6161ef705a16deb.jpg

 

Tooth 18: Carcharinus cf. macloti or Carcharhinus falciformis

5f996cc055502_160388909965130370(9).jpg.60afcf15b3f670314bbae38604954af4.jpg

 

Tooth 19: Carcharinus cf. macloti or Carcharhinus falciformis

5f996cc1a1218_160388909965130370(10).jpg.35b083ca8aa965b3bc45dcf7209cc06e.jpg

 

Tooth 20: 

5f996cc308ef9_160388909965130370(11).jpg.66e36ba923fbf27937f421a8e5dc5cb8.jpg

 

Tooth 21: Carcharinus sp.?

5f996cc459737_160388909965130370(12).jpg.3e6d4e836fe57106782e1498012e9564.jpg

 

Tooth 22: Carcharinus sp.?

5f996cc5f23cf_160388909965130370(13).jpg.da9fe0bb6f85f89401ab42bbc9dc4444.jpg

 

Tooth 23: Carcharinus sp.?

5f996cc7722ed_160388909965130370(14).thumb.jpg.e5c19975c0a741db3fc0e273e30f0c76.jpg

 

Tooth 24: Carcharinus sp.?

5f996cc8c4d39_160388909965130370(15).jpg.93405b09a9d40a7a3edb28f9596ba842.jpg

 

Tooth 25: Carcharinus sp.?

5f996cca1ab93_160388909965130370(16).jpg.619bbeb27d64ca9fb9eaf8b9edb48002.jpg

 

Tooth 26: Carcharinus sp.?

5f996ccbadc70_160388909965130370(17).jpg.561b6b7f6e13c3fed43aeb426dc5233a.jpg

 

Teeth 27: Sphyraena sp.

160388909965130370.jpg.3221f5b93a843e631a59e4800846a02d.jpg

5f996ce567e90_160388909965130370(1).jpg.d9bc7c56a8bce84e46c6add8f09a5467.jpg

 

Fish Jaw

5f996ce6bee0a_160388909965130370(18).jpg.6e004db2334ac70da25e79ab7690d9c1.jpg

5f996ce82312b_160388909965130370(19).thumb.jpg.1c948f96aab0efb13aec651923b21465.jpg

5f996ce972d95_160388909965130370(20).jpg.2e97dfbf5fd8499cd877f991087b8641.jpg

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The last one is a crab claw.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2020 at 1:02 AM, ziggycardon said:

Here are a couple more finds I found in the Lee Creek Matrix

 

Tooth 12: Physogaleus sp. or Paragaleus sp.?

5f996cb54834b_160388909965130370(2).jpg.7bd2a264b97fe13da00ac12be233d75f.jpg

5f996cb6968ff_160388909965130370(3).jpg.af7e2666ad544f6c9b3d492f4b27ea6f.jpg

 

Tooth 13:

5f996cb8b4990_160388909965130370(4).jpg.5cd85a2ed0d7cedcdd9ac79374105f17.jpg

 

Tooth 14: Carcharhinus sp.?

5f996cba08283_160388909965130370(5).jpg.b5279a2e5dd01b9e068513a4f4627bd5.jpg

 

Tooth 15: a small Physogaleus or something else?

5f996cbb3e2f3_160388909965130370(6).thumb.jpg.be6bde387f376bec13b086c7e9c3486c.jpg

 

Tooth 16: Not sure, maybe Galeorhinus? maybe something else?

5f996cbd6d404_160388909965130370(7).jpg.efe0e9dbe6c794cdce6a15e620020e92.jpg

 

Tooth 17: Carcharinus sp.?

5f996cbf01ee0_160388909965130370(8).jpg.166cc323fe8a153eb6161ef705a16deb.jpg

 

Tooth 18: Carcharinus cf. macloti or Carcharhinus falciformis

5f996cc055502_160388909965130370(9).jpg.60afcf15b3f670314bbae38604954af4.jpg

 

Tooth 19: Carcharinus cf. macloti or Carcharhinus falciformis

5f996cc1a1218_160388909965130370(10).jpg.35b083ca8aa965b3bc45dcf7209cc06e.jpg

 

Tooth 20: 

5f996cc308ef9_160388909965130370(11).jpg.66e36ba923fbf27937f421a8e5dc5cb8.jpg

 

Tooth 21: Carcharinus sp.?

5f996cc459737_160388909965130370(12).jpg.3e6d4e836fe57106782e1498012e9564.jpg

 

Tooth 22: Carcharinus sp.?

5f996cc5f23cf_160388909965130370(13).jpg.da9fe0bb6f85f89401ab42bbc9dc4444.jpg

 

Tooth 23: Carcharinus sp.?

5f996cc7722ed_160388909965130370(14).thumb.jpg.e5c19975c0a741db3fc0e273e30f0c76.jpg

 

Tooth 24: Carcharinus sp.?

5f996cc8c4d39_160388909965130370(15).jpg.93405b09a9d40a7a3edb28f9596ba842.jpg

 

Tooth 25: Carcharinus sp.?

5f996cca1ab93_160388909965130370(16).jpg.619bbeb27d64ca9fb9eaf8b9edb48002.jpg

 

Tooth 26: Carcharinus sp.?

5f996ccbadc70_160388909965130370(17).jpg.561b6b7f6e13c3fed43aeb426dc5233a.jpg

 

Teeth 27: Sphyraena sp.

160388909965130370.jpg.3221f5b93a843e631a59e4800846a02d.jpg

5f996ce567e90_160388909965130370(1).jpg.d9bc7c56a8bce84e46c6add8f09a5467.jpg

 

Fish Jaw

5f996ce6bee0a_160388909965130370(18).jpg.6e004db2334ac70da25e79ab7690d9c1.jpg

5f996ce82312b_160388909965130370(19).thumb.jpg.1c948f96aab0efb13aec651923b21465.jpg

5f996ce972d95_160388909965130370(20).jpg.2e97dfbf5fd8499cd877f991087b8641.jpg

12. Physogaleus contortus

13. lower Carcharhinus sp.

14. Carcharhinus macloti

15. I believe a Rhizoprionodon with both ends of the root broken off

16. Unsure.  Perhaps lateral C. macloti

17. Unsure.  Perhaps lateral C. macloti

18. Probably C. Macloti

19. C. Macloti

20. Rhizoprionodon or small Sphyrna sp. (Hammerhead)

21-26. lower Carcharhinus sp.

27. Scombrid teeth, possibly Sphyraena (barricuda) or Acanthocybium (wahoo)

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28-10-2020 at 11:01 PM, old bones said:

The last one is a crab claw.

Yes now you say it! It does indeed look like a crab claw.
Can't believe I didn't see it myself. :DOH:

 

On 31-10-2020 at 9:45 AM, hemipristis said:

12. Physogaleus contortus

13. lower Carcharhinus sp.

14. Carcharhinus macloti

15. I believe a Rhizoprionodon with both ends of the root broken off

16. Unsure.  Perhaps lateral C. macloti

17. Unsure.  Perhaps lateral C. macloti

18. Probably C. Macloti

19. C. Macloti

20. Rhizoprionodon or small Sphyrna sp. (Hammerhead)

21-26. lower Carcharhinus sp.

27. Scombrid teeth, possibly Sphyraena (barricuda) or Acanthocybium (wahoo)

Thank you very much for your help! It is much appreciated! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tooth 28 & 29: I am inclined to say fish teeth although I cannot help to see a resemblance to perhaps dolphin teeth (but I believe these might be to small to be that)

160449372253806521.jpg.d3b2dbfd1b791ce6f0f21e6bc1f09398.jpg

5fa2ac4449b21_160449372253806521(1).jpg.0f16f4d4e904376fc153cf1428d1eed5.jpg

5fa2ac460c0da_160449372253806521(2).jpg.f13b56ea158af37c2ce800e67e11b8a4.jpg

5fa2ac4767929_160449372253806521(3).jpg.5be0fee3c0a15bca0429ed7eab7056b9.jpg

5fa2ac48bbc58_160449372253806521(4).jpg.7b5091b3d353fccb6001eacb4b8dbcfe.jpg

5fa2ac4aaa302_160449372253806521(5).jpg.50086a13a3757a4a72b28ac69bb6b80c.jpg

5fa2ac4c711a4_160449372253806521(6).jpg.820487b703b228da7c38e557f8248bb3.jpg

 

Tooth 30: Raja (laevis)

5fa2ac740ee89_160449372253806521(7).jpg.0c25284b5f8a0e98cfabe37cb0102443.jpg

 

Tooth 31: Carcharhinus sp.

5fa2ac767d05d_160449372253806521(8).jpg.d5a898291b8ab314177d1493d41a5e63.jpg

 

Tooth 32: Carcharinus sp.?

5fa2ac79654c4_160449372253806521(9).jpg.08a27161a804faebbe5722b7762117fc.jpg

5fa2ac7abfaa0_160449372253806521(10).jpg.57eada1baa4d125d8242903eadd15a11.jpg

 

Tooth 33: This is a very tick tooth ith heavy serrations so I doubt this is Carcharhinus sp., maybe tip of a Carcharodon carcharias, although this tip might not be ID'able

5fa2ac7c9916f_160449372253806521(11).jpg.fdf631dc094e04a3aa2607ebcf7f4b81.jpg

 

Tooth 34: Galeorhinus sp.?

5fa2ac7fdd789_160449372253806521(12).jpg.efb93f75b22ee2c03313ce96a1e3ce02.jpg

5fa2ac814732f_160449372253806521(13).jpg.3eefd5f6a57c10247e3931ddc7500a20.jpg

 

Tooth 35: A very interesting shaped tooth, not sure what is is.

5fa2ac82ee1ff_160449372253806521(14).jpg.7ca3615408d6001639e4aabad2b35293.jpg

5fa2ac845545f_160449372253806521(15).jpg.1ba8f040abb2c96d6931eb6f433db301.jpg

 

Tooth 36: Carcharhinus sp.

5fa2acb9944f4_160449372253806521(16).jpg.96e270ca1b8b254032290fd4317fb5ff.jpg

5fa2acbae7e0e_160449372253806521(17).jpg.8fc05e35cce09a2d8ec54c0da5ee2661.jpg

 

Tooth 37: Carcharhinus macloti?

5fa2acbca2bc6_160449372253806521(18).jpg.96a6f755f741f3741dcaaf903b927eab.jpg

5fa2acbf5e092_160449372253806521(19).jpg.ef7f2cd5a52daca281807e5f235c1830.jpg

 

Tooth 38: Physogaleus contortus or very worn Galeocerdo sp.?

5fa2acc1057da_160449372253806521(20).jpg.e0ab36287f80654728c7e1233f81991b.jpg

5fa2acc29cef9_160449372253806521(21).jpg.f604ae347751b816148661f194aff3b9.jpg

 

Tooth 39: Physogaleus contortus?

5fa2acc456164_160449372253806521(22).jpg.a88e1ed757431d4dacb1c2bbc3a9508d.jpg

5fa2acc5b203b_160449372253806521(23).jpg.e769c01c3d1729531c4a302076d92909.jpg

 

Tooth 40: Carcharhinus sp.

5fa2aceaedaf8_160449372253806521(24).jpg.5504c9acdb0aa195596627f55a606edd.jpg

 

Tooth 41: Carcharhinus sp.

5fa2acecbdc46_160449372253806521(25).jpg.0bdcec8640ed02e1f976abc808f51b86.jpg

5fa2acee1e160_160449372253806521(26).jpg.4a1f85b10995e5219d0110bcbf1720e8.jpg

 

Tooth 42: A very oddly shaped tooth, no idea what is is.

5fa2acf0074f7_160449372253806521(27).jpg.4d000825d1447af1ff06a9669eee1da6.jpg

5fa2acf15e09a_160449372253806521(28).jpg.a1dc1424a4c75a3ac4a1b091be4bff4b.jpg

 

Tooth 43: Negaprion eurybathrodon?

5fa2acf48d627_160449372253806521(29).jpg.52e8ea363cc7648166d0c246995b6fb9.jpg

5fa2acf5d9d8a_160449372253806521(30).jpg.4be49788e1c777a33baab783c74d186b.jpg

 

Tooth 44: Not sure about this one, could be Carcharhinus sp. but I am not sure.

5fa2ad0767940_160449372253806521(31).jpg.0fa26ce419336a98ae9cb4e2622df316.jpg

5fa2ad0903e94_160449372253806521(32).jpg.5677614037450bf9b55923904f310fed.jpg

 

Tooth 45: Not sure about this one, could be Carcharhinus sp. but I am not sure.

I don't know if there are cusps at the sides or just suggestive looking worn serrations.

5fa2ad0ad726d_160449372253806521(33).jpg.ec589add44632c4198a0b67940e15037.jpg

5fa2ad0c36a0c_160449372253806521(34).jpg.c6e3f5c922b57e1b54e3a0fbb970ba40.jpg

 

Tooth 46: Sandtiger Shark, but not sure about the genus

5fa2ad0e55fc6_160449372253806521(35).jpg.bb912a9ddd9e343099ab80c67ba962e4.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I had some time again to photograph some of Lee Creek finds. 
It might be the last or second to last bunch I post here as most of other teeth are of low quality.
And again, thank you all for all the help with providing & confirming the correct ID's for these teeth! I am reallt grateful for it! :) 
 

Tooth 47: Carcharhinus sp.?

160511663826777151.jpg.18223acde5508930210860cdc71d2cbd.jpg

5fac282515e13_160511663826777151(1).jpg.002d3bb38267b40fae70948e03b5793a.jpg

 

 

Tooth 48: Carcharhinus sp.?

5fac282887fd8_160511663826777151(2).jpg.2d1918d1d5b37318dbeb18b33cc5cbd3.jpg

5fac2829e01b8_160511663826777151(3).jpg.0ab71f0c674a38be633b8c28665b175d.jpg

 

 

Tooth 49: Carcharhinus sp.

5fac282d11305_160511663826777151(4).jpg.6e98cb937eec5ddaf4f4af1fee060596.jpg

5fac282e65833_160511663826777151(5).jpg.5209893290b593e6d43341fb707ddcbe.jpg

 

 

Tooth 50: Carcharhinus sp.?

5fac283051f87_160511663826777151(6).jpg.9dd3bee9a6ec415fa20a71e364c96e29.jpg

5fac2831ae4fe_160511663826777151(7).jpg.61f677d562afa7c1406cdb83a89cc7a9.jpg

 

 

Tooth 51: Carcharoides catticus?

 5fac28335dbcf_160511663826777151(8).jpg.1aa48cc0eee8516b9a325efb0ac8fee2.jpg

5fac2834d7e24_160511663826777151(9).jpg.4f626e82e36e5e5f04f9e4b04f64ce91.jpg

 

 

Tooth 52: A weird Sphyrna sp. or Rhizoprionodon sp.?
Or perhaps Loxodon sp. or maybe just a funny looking Carcharhinus sp.?

5fac2838ce425_160511663826777151(10).jpg.df8017071bede70bb01bc18cdc024bc7.jpg

5fac283a379c7_160511663826777151(11).jpg.521afb26bd1a5a92e65eb6e4cc5b89f2.jpg

 

 

Tooth 53: Carcharhinus sp.

5fac283c4d87e_160511663826777151(12).jpg.17a337b819266cd4365636f1281e3597.jpg

5fac283da486e_160511663826777151(13).jpg.d0ac3d133517c9596ab2ea6c279ef2e7.jpg

 

 

Tooth 54: Carcharhinus sp.

5fac2842bae61_160511663826777151(15).jpg.f570bb0988c11a54e9c5412210b447de.jpg

5fac284163934_160511663826777151(14).jpg.283b72f4f18a422b917d91da753d48f6.jpg

 

 

Tooth 55: Not sure, is it a Carcharhinus sp. or something else?

5fac2845f3b72_160511663826777151(16).jpg.3d87b9bf1c9da2c8204d1e63e0707aae.jpg

5fac284755201_160511663826777151(17).jpg.e5e852451ccff34fe6373b4e10c9d911.jpg

 

 

Tooth 56: Carcharhinus sp.

5fac2849114b8_160511663826777151(18).jpg.ec25bae7b139647fca2556c7d341a84a.jpg

5fac284a6df06_160511663826777151(19).jpg.3b60af163075505f4ca3f171cc897590.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4-11-2020 at 2:53 PM, ziggycardon said:

Tooth 35: A very interesting shaped tooth, not sure what is is.

5fa2ac82ee1ff_160449372253806521(14).jpg.7ca3615408d6001639e4aabad2b35293.jpg

5fa2ac845545f_160449372253806521(15).jpg.1ba8f040abb2c96d6931eb6f433db301.jpg

 

Could tooth 35 perhaps be a lateral Anomotodon craevenensis?
The tooth seems similar to the lateral teeth from a modern Goblin Shark which I recently came across online.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ziggycardon said:

Could tooth 35 perhaps be a lateral Anomotodon craevenensis?
The tooth seems similar to the lateral teeth from a modern Goblin Shark which I recently came across online.

Good eye!  That's exactly what I was going to state.  I concur. Though I'd like to hear others input as well

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2020 at 4:24 AM, ziggycardon said:

Today I had some time again to photograph some of Lee Creek finds. 
It might be the last or second to last bunch I post here as most of other teeth are of low quality.
And again, thank you all for all the help with providing & confirming the correct ID's for these teeth! I am reallt grateful for it! :) 
 

Tooth 47: Carcharhinus sp.?

160511663826777151.jpg.18223acde5508930210860cdc71d2cbd.jpg

5fac282515e13_160511663826777151(1).jpg.002d3bb38267b40fae70948e03b5793a.jpg

 

 

Tooth 48: Carcharhinus sp.?

5fac282887fd8_160511663826777151(2).jpg.2d1918d1d5b37318dbeb18b33cc5cbd3.jpg

5fac2829e01b8_160511663826777151(3).jpg.0ab71f0c674a38be633b8c28665b175d.jpg

 

 

Tooth 49: Carcharhinus sp.

5fac282d11305_160511663826777151(4).jpg.6e98cb937eec5ddaf4f4af1fee060596.jpg

5fac282e65833_160511663826777151(5).jpg.5209893290b593e6d43341fb707ddcbe.jpg

 

 

Tooth 50: Carcharhinus sp.?

5fac283051f87_160511663826777151(6).jpg.9dd3bee9a6ec415fa20a71e364c96e29.jpg

5fac2831ae4fe_160511663826777151(7).jpg.61f677d562afa7c1406cdb83a89cc7a9.jpg

 

 

Tooth 51: Carcharoides catticus?

 5fac28335dbcf_160511663826777151(8).jpg.1aa48cc0eee8516b9a325efb0ac8fee2.jpg

5fac2834d7e24_160511663826777151(9).jpg.4f626e82e36e5e5f04f9e4b04f64ce91.jpg

 

 

Tooth 52: A weird Sphyrna sp. or Rhizoprionodon sp.?
Or perhaps Loxodon sp. or maybe just a funny looking Carcharhinus sp.?

5fac2838ce425_160511663826777151(10).jpg.df8017071bede70bb01bc18cdc024bc7.jpg

5fac283a379c7_160511663826777151(11).jpg.521afb26bd1a5a92e65eb6e4cc5b89f2.jpg

 

 

Tooth 53: Carcharhinus sp.

5fac283c4d87e_160511663826777151(12).jpg.17a337b819266cd4365636f1281e3597.jpg

5fac283da486e_160511663826777151(13).jpg.d0ac3d133517c9596ab2ea6c279ef2e7.jpg

 

 

Tooth 54: Carcharhinus sp.

5fac2842bae61_160511663826777151(15).jpg.f570bb0988c11a54e9c5412210b447de.jpg

5fac284163934_160511663826777151(14).jpg.283b72f4f18a422b917d91da753d48f6.jpg

 

 

Tooth 55: Not sure, is it a Carcharhinus sp. or something else?

5fac2845f3b72_160511663826777151(16).jpg.3d87b9bf1c9da2c8204d1e63e0707aae.jpg

5fac284755201_160511663826777151(17).jpg.e5e852451ccff34fe6373b4e10c9d911.jpg

 

 

Tooth 56: Carcharhinus sp.

5fac2849114b8_160511663826777151(18).jpg.ec25bae7b139647fca2556c7d341a84a.jpg

5fac284a6df06_160511663826777151(19).jpg.3b60af163075505f4ca3f171cc897590.jpg

 

#47-50, 53-56, I concur with Carcharhinus,, sp..

I am reasonably sure that #51 is not C. catticus The crown isn't long enough. I suspect another Carcharhinus, but it's hard to tell with the roots and possible cusplets missing.

#52, you're probably right with Rhizoprionodon sp.

 

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
D.N.FossilmanLithuania

It looks like you have some beautiful angel shark and also Scyliorhinidae tooth specimens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hemipristis said:

#47-50, 53-56, I concur with Carcharhinus,, sp..

I am reasonably sure that #51 is not C. catticus The crown isn't long enough. I suspect another Carcharhinus, but it's hard to tell with the roots and possible cusplets missing.

#52, you're probably right with Rhizoprionodon sp.

 

I cannot thank you enough for the help, I really appreciate it! 
It is really helping me forward with the labeling and sorting of the teeth :) 

1 hour ago, D.N.FossilmanLithuania said:

It looks like you have some beautiful angel shark and also Scyliorhinidae tooth specimens.

Thank you! 
Which of the teeth do you mean exactly when you say angel shark? 
Could tooth 42 or 43 by any chance belong to Squatina sp.?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Could tooth 46 perhaps belong to Odontaspis sp. 
I am pretty confident that it is a Sand tiger shark but I believe it might be too small to be Carcharias sp., so perhaps Odontaspis sp.?

On 4-11-2020 at 2:53 PM, ziggycardon said:

Tooth 46: Sandtiger Shark, but not sure about the genus

5fa2ad0e55fc6_160449372253806521(35).jpg.bb912a9ddd9e343099ab80c67ba962e4.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ziggycardon said:

Could tooth 46 perhaps belong to Odontaspis sp. 
I am pretty confident that it is a Sand tiger shark but I believe it might be too big to be Carcharias sp., so perhaps Odontaspis sp.?

Could be, but at LC, Carcharias teeth can be notably larger than Odontaspis.  I use the root configuration and the cusplets to help distinguish between the two genera, and sadly they are missing here.

I can't say one way or another, sorry

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 3:55 AM, ziggycardon said:

I cannot thank you enough for the help, I really appreciate it! 
It is really helping me forward with the labeling and sorting of the teeth :) 

Thank you! 
Which of the teeth do you mean exactly when you say angel shark? 
Could tooth 42 or 43 by any chance belong to Squatina sp.?

42 could be.  Could you take a photo looking down onto the top of the root? That is, in line with the blade?

 

43 is likely a lower Carcharhinus

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Could be, but at LC, Carcharias teeth can be notably larger than Odontaspis.  I use the root configuration and the cusplets to help distinguish between the two genera, and sadly they are missing here.

I can't say one way or another, sorry

Thank you, I'll probably just label it as Odontaspididae, I think that is the safest way to go.

 

7 hours ago, hemipristis said:

42 could be.  Could you take a photo looking down onto the top of the root? That is, in line with the blade?

 

43 is likely a lower Carcharhinus

Thank you, I'll try to take some pictures with different angles of the tooth tomorrow when I have more daylight :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
I thought the Odontaspis of the Miocene had been renamed Synodontaspis, and more recently Carcharias, at least in Europe. What about that ?
 
Coco
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some more photo's of tooth 42.
I hope they are good enough, wasn't very easy to make good photo's of different angles with a tooth this small :D 

 

16069989421742098.jpg.097c814e90d1b6fe134305d07fd39f4b.jpg

5fc8e1a1de57f_16069989421742098(1).jpg.34842314eb23b1709d45ba71c9895058.jpg

5fc8e0b82dc2d_16069989421742098(2).jpg.64191f6606d1920d3c8de327d2e828c1.jpg

 

5fc8e0b990310_16069989421742098(3).jpg.dee921bf64d05063a8ecd52b54a7f1b1.jpg

5fc8e0bb105e5_16069989421742098(4).jpg.3e5d068d556c652d4fdf2d4946137880.jpg

5fc8e0bc7d801_16069989421742098(5).jpg.e63d5b6bebfeb18e18676d3140d73091.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...