Pit 11 Poychaete Identification Help

Thomas.Dodson

Hi all,

this is one of the polychaete worms from the batch of Pit 11 concretions I'm working on. From what I can see of the conical jaws it most closely resembles Didontogaster corydylina but the jaws blend a bit together and aren't as distinct as some other specimens I've found. The body profile seems a little off (no swollen front section for one) so I wanted to ask for second opinions. Am I getting too hung up on the profile of a body that could just be more outstretched?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6335.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

I believe this is an example of Dryptoscolex.

They are quite rare. 
Can you try to get some clear close up pictures of the jaws?

Very nice find!

• I found this Informative 3

Here are some pictures I took experimenting with a macro lens and a regular camera through a loupe. The first two are of what we will call the positive and are more defined than the third picture which is the negative. I might be able to get better photos using natural lighting tomorrow. After these pictures I can see that it seems more like Dryptoscolex. I have another worm from this batch that I ID'd as Dryptoscolex (the jaws are large and almost pendulous). I'll post that one as well for a second opinion now that I know they're rare.

Thanks for your help.

IMGP8231.JPG

IMG_6348.JPG

IMGP8223.JPG

Here's the other worm. The body isn't great but the jaws are quite nicely preserved.

IMG_6343.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

@RCFossils Here is a better focused image I took using a macro lens. Between this and the previous images it gives a decent picture of the curvature of the jaws. What do you think? Do you think the other worm is also Dryptoscolex?

IMGP8240.JPG