Jump to content

John’s (& The Forum’s) Favorite Paleontology Items for 2020


Recommended Posts

Here is my list of favorite items for geology and paleontology enthusiasts for 2020. Please feel free to add you own selections; give a specific model that you have used or researched.

 

Estwing Geology Hammer, Estwing E6-24PC - Larger head and weight to partly replace small crack hammer and make it easier to hit your target. One piece construction can last a long time.

DB1C0651-A173-472B-8C2C-8B8E8DDA1D86.thumb.jpeg.d622285a0be69356df9fb9afdb0e75b9.jpeg

 

Write in the Rain waterproof notebook, No. 135 - Take notes on your fossil localities. Fits in pocket. Select a bright color and get a good pen or a mechanical pencil with a large diameter lead.
5155F645-8BB2-4CE2-8224-EF4EE6B45A6D.thumb.jpeg.93dcf64287808442ca6d0f03538eeb68.jpeg

Fischer Bullet Space Pen - Most reliable write-anywhere small pen. 

7D452CC9-56C0-47FF-A361-A74C407A3058.jpeg.5f77337b2fa492f2da62ee8589c70389.jpeg

 

Belomo 10X hand lens - Great lens for the price. Makes a great macro lens for smart phone cameras. Best balance between magnification and field of view. Get a bright-colored lanyard to help save it from loss.

0E507338-73B3-438A-A785-5EB565C70E85.jpeg.88a94c2c74b52a3cab7030e15285d3c9.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sjfriend said:

Cash for buying fossils ;)

Is this $50 what you had in mind?

0BCCCBDD-38F3-4F73-A560-CDDAFFAC4595.jpeg

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Is this $50 what you had in mind?

0BCCCBDD-38F3-4F73-A560-CDDAFFAC4595.jpeg

I think that might buy me a piece or 2 (thousand!)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok as I have the same hammer I will add my cool photo cube made by @aerogrower and my very cheep clip on Macro lens for a phone camera  . The lens opened up a new Marco world of fossil for me.

2AA1FB44-ABCB-49FB-8950-5C528F265139.jpeg

23F4D1D0-46EA-4CD1-9AD7-61B2CCEF0DC8.jpeg

879B5640-FC0D-4893-A2AF-E0AF251EEAD4.jpeg

71CCBF4D-F469-4452-929F-38C072908C0F.jpeg

  • I found this Informative 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. For those of us in the "bad knees" generation, I suggest the following additional items: good kneeling pads (the kind designed for flooring installers, available from a building supply store; I use Prolock Model 42059; about $35/pair) and collapsible trekking poles for steep slopes (available from sporting goods stores; I use Cascade Mountain Tech Model TP-AL-TL-CORK-2about $20/pair). The cork and foam handles on the trekking poles will eventually become loose and slide down the poles, but duct tape will hold them in place (duct tape around the pole at the base of the handles).

Best wishes.

 

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a LEXI brand collapsible cane walking stick. Around $80 at a sports store,  and has a cane type handle and trekking grip and rubber over a carbide tip. It has come in very handy walking into a falls area along with at the beach. Along with knee pads. Starting to get some arthritis plus a stroke.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite for 2020 is the new Danner Pronghorn Snakeboots.

45033

45033_M

 

 

FINALLY they released some with a side zip that aren't done up in the trashy looking realtree or mossy oak.

An excellent upgrade from the desert only/hot weather Danner Vital snakeboot, which is a real pain to don and doff.

41530_P

 

The side zip on the Pronghorn makes them even more versatile. While neither has a safety toe (useful in quarries), I have found that a knee high boot is the best investment you can make if you are a fossil hunter. Sure, they are designed to help protect you from extant reptiles, but the also protect you from cacti, yucca, thorns, briars, and sharp rocks. Pairs extremely well with your knee pads of choice for outstanding lower leg protection without a bunch of weight. The Pronghorn has a waterproof lining, which is great for wet and rainy hunts, unlike the Vital which is in no way waterproof or resistant..)

 

Also they pair nicely with my other bit of 2020 gear- the Utility Kilt. Laugh all you want, but trust me, when one is out in the middle of Millard County or the like in July and August, this durable bit of clothing keeps you comfortable and dry. No more raw skin from salt in your sweat building up...if you get my drift fellas... I wear the olive drab and black version of this one:

 

81FlgYHqGeL._AC_UL1500_.jpg

Last, but not least, my absolute favorite piece of 2020 gear is the SOG Sync II EDC Multi-tool. This multi-tool is also a heavy duty belt buckle, which frees up your pockets and makes your tool belt even more useful. i bought it for backcountry trips, and end up wearing it every day.

Only complaint is the ruler is in useless imperial measure. I sent an angry letter begging for a metric ruler version, but well, what ya gonna do?

SN1011-CP_product_alt_2__03719__74112.1579023046.jpg?c=2

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This substance is indispensable, although I've been dispensing it both in the field and in the workshop wherever necessary for years and it'll certainly still be put into action for the rest of 2020 and on into 2021 :D @LabRatKing That is a really cool gadget!

 

1.thumb.jpg.e6472cdb4ff2135c9754dd505fed6273.jpg

 

 

  • I found this Informative 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

multi-tool is also a heavy duty belt buckle, which frees up your pockets and makes your tool belt even more useful. i bought it for backcountry trips, and end up wearing it every day

Nice.... until you need to use it and your kilt falls off :megdance:Really like the boots too

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Last, but not least, my absolute favorite piece of 2020 gear is the SOG Sync II EDC Multi-tool. This multi-tool is also a heavy duty belt buckle, which frees up your pockets and makes your tool belt even more useful. i bought it for backcountry trips, and end up wearing it every day.

I’m a huge fan of multi tools and have carried one on my belt everyday for years. Love the replacement buckle idea. I’ll have to check that out! Thanks for sharing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

Nice.... until you need to use it and your kilt falls off :megdance:Really like the boots too

Cool part is the tool is removable from the buckle with a push lock button. Also comes with a belt clip, so can set it up however you prefer.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2020 at 1:48 AM, Sjfriend said:

Cash for buying fossils ;)

A wife who does not care if you buy fossils :thumbsu:

  • I found this Informative 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

91Dm2lyuxwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A good pair of working gloves, as I learned earlier this year before the quarantine collecting in upstate New York it can be hard to collect fossils if you hands are cold and filled with rock chips, as I discovered, and it made it so much easier to collect for longer in the winter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2020 at 12:06 PM, Ludwigia said:

This substance is indispensable, although I've been dispensing it both in the field and in the workshop wherever necessary for years and it'll certainly still be put into action for the rest of 2020 and on into 2021 :D @LabRatKing That is a really cool gadget!

 

1.thumb.jpg.e6472cdb4ff2135c9754dd505fed6273.jpg

 

 

 

Hi Roger,

 

Is that a glue or an energy drink?

 

Jess

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, siteseer said:

 

Hi Roger,

 

Is that a glue or an energy drink?

 

Jess

 

Very funny :BigSmile: Cyanoacrylate is the answer, but I usually take along 2 cans of the product pictured below when I go hunting.

 

images.jpg.0dfff1e8a45d4796dd45b392ae8fb21f.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ludwigia said:

Very funny :BigSmile: Cyano-acrilate is the answer, but I usually take along 2 cans of the product pictured below when I go hunting.

 

images.jpg.0dfff1e8a45d4796dd45b392ae8fb21f.jpg

 

 

1 minute ago, Ludwigia said:

Very funny :BigSmile: Cyano-acrilate is the answer, but I usually take along 2 cans of the product pictured below when I go hunting.

 

images.jpg.0dfff1e8a45d4796dd45b392ae8fb21f.jpg

 

 

I'm glad you liked the joke.  I always bring a big pack of water (24-35 bottles).  Always bring more water than you will likely need for a day or two even if it's not that far from civilization in case you are stuck.  I like iced tea too.  I like to eat light especially if I'm collecting in hot weather (Bakersfield).  Pop-Tarts and granola bars are good - nothing that can melt.

 

Jess

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, siteseer said:

 

 

I'm glad you liked the joke.  I always bring a big pack of water (24-35 bottles).  Always bring more water than you will likely need for a day or two even if it's not that far from civilization in case you are stuck.  I like iced tea too.  I like to eat light especially if I'm collecting in hot weather (Bakersfield).  Pop-Tarts and granola bars are good - nothing that can melt.

 

Jess

 

One energy drink is for the way there and the other for the way back. For in between I always have a liter bottle of water which is dosed according to my needs. I've taken to picking up a good bite to eat on the way there and back and not eating anything while I'm working on site, since I usually don't stay any longer than 5 hours nowadays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Very funny :BigSmile: Cyanoacrylate is the answer, but I usually take along 2 cans of the product pictured below when I go hunting.

 

images.jpg.0dfff1e8a45d4796dd45b392ae8fb21f.jpg

 

Ha! still remember the time when this drink was forbidden in France because it was so dangeroooous ! Had to ask friend to smuggle of couple of cans from Italy  when I ran my first trail ....

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok this is not much help for out in the field but sure would help for labeling back home.

 

DYMO label writer

 

This is nothing new to some of you maybe and you use this, I decided to give it a try.........it's GREAT !

I have stromatolite slabs so this works perfect, the labels stick to the flat back no problem, if the surface is fairly flat but still rough it still sticks to it.....too rough not going to stick to the surface.

If you don't want to apply to the fossil, most likely most items you will not be able to nor want to. Stick the label on whatever you choose or stick onto a index card and you could even fold the index card so it stands up for display purposes.

The standard address labels are big enough to add a lot of information, I was able to put 6 lines of info up to 34-36 letters/spaces. It self adjusts to the amount you write - less, bigger print - more, print gets smaller. 

Aside from not needing to write everything down plus it's all legible. The best part is no ink is needed ! it's a heat treated printer.

You can buy bigger labels if want.

 

 

71dh2YCcoEL._AC_SL1500_.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Abyss said:

Ok this is not much help for out in the field but sure would help for labeling back home.

 

DYMO label writer

 

This is nothing new to some of you maybe and you use this, I decided to give it a try.........it's GREAT !

I have stromatolite slabs so this works perfect, the labels stick to the flat back no problem, if the surface is fairly flat but still rough it still sticks to it.....too rough not going to stick to the surface.

If you don't want to apply to the fossil, most likely most items you will not be able to nor want to. Stick the label on whatever you choose or stick onto a index card and you could even fold the index card so it stands up for display purposes.

The standard address labels are big enough to add a lot of information, I was able to put 6 lines of info up to 34-36 letters/spaces. It self adjusts to the amount you write - less, bigger print - more, print gets smaller. 

Aside from not needing to write everything down plus it's all legible. The best part is no ink is needed ! it's a heat treated printer.

You can buy bigger labels if want

Nice labels but how does the heat printing stand up? So many heat printed pieces fade if any light / warmth strike the paper for a length of time

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sjfriend said:

Nice labels but how does the heat printing stand up? So many heat printed pieces fade if any light / warmth strike the paper for a length of time

 

I don't know yet, I just started using it. Most if not all my items will not see direct sunlight, while I'm guessing that'll be the same for others here too ?

 

These are the exact same heat printed labels most of the companies are using for their own labeling on their boxes in their warehouses, while most of your shipping carriers & postal service use the same labels that they slap onto the boxes for shipping, plus all your small time online sellers that print out their own shipping / postage labels from their own home.

I can't see all these companies putting faith into some labels that will not hold up.

 

Out of all those labels that were on the boxes you received, how did they fair ? I haven't seen one fade...I know boxes don't get that special air condition treatment.

I'll roll the dice, what's the worst that happens ? In 5 years I might have to make a new label ?

Since they will not see direct sunlight nor high heat temps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used a now vintage Brother P-touch for years in the lab. The trick is to buy the industrial label tape rather than the standard. This is our go to label for everything from radioactive to humidity control items, which are kept in special cabinets. I have items I labeled as a student 20 years ago that are perfectly legible. 
 

If you need this item for your ptouch, pm me and I’ll send you the vendors. One is lab only, the other is a open to the public industrial supply.

 

can’t get the durable touch cartridges otherwise

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As an addition- just scored an excellent set of dental SS tools from the warrior woman for 11$ on sale. Regularly 40$. Sold as “wax sculpting tools”. Best deal of 2020 for us preparators. To maintain site rules integrity, pm for link.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...